Zora Scales are recurring Items in The Legend of Zelda series. They are fragments of the skin of a Zora which seem to hold the aquatic identity of the species, as a non-Zora in the possession of one gets adapted to water.
Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
The Golden Scale is an enhanced version of the Silver Scale. The time and depth of a dive that can be achieved with the Golden Scale is up to nine meters. Unlike the Silver Scale, obtaining the Golden Scale is optional, although it is necessary to obtain a Piece of Heart in the Lakeside Laboratory. To obtain the Golden Scale, adult Link must catch a fish that breaks the current record by at least four pounds at the Fishing Pond in Lake Hylia.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, the Zora Scale is given to Link by a Zora after he defeats Plasmarine and gets the Rolling Sea essence from Jabu-Jabu's Belly. The Zora Scale is required to bypass the Zora guarding the way to the Sea of Storms. On the Sea of Storms, Link will find the stranded Piratians. The Zora Scale, which is a charm capable of calming the seas, must be given to the Cap'n of the Piratians, so that they can escape the Sea of Storms. As thanks, Link receives the Tokay Eyeball, which is required to access the Ancient Tomb.
In Phantom Hourglass, Zora Scales are Treasures that can be sold on Mercay Island to the Teller of Treasures for a random amount of Rupees. It is also a highly valued commodity among members of the Ho Ho Tribe.
Tri Force Heroes
- Secret Fortress, no challenge: one Zora Scale
- Secret Fortress, "Clear with halved energy!": two Zora Scales
- Abyss of Agony, "Halved attack and defense!": two Zora Scales
- Cove of Transition, no challenge: two Zora Scales
The default Zora Scale is the Silver Scale. The second form of the Zora Scale is the Golden Scale, followed by the Water Dragon Scale.
The Lv.★ form of the Zora Scale is the 8-Bit Clock, which is based on the Magical Clock from The Legend of Zelda. It was added to Hyrule Warriors with the Majora's Mask Pack DLC. In Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, instead of appearing as a separate Weapon, the 8-Bit Clock replaces the Sun Dragon Scale when the "8-Bit Weapons" Setting is turned on in Game Settings within the Settings menu.
|Weapon||Number of Stars|
Water Dragon Scale
|Lv.★ (HW | HWDE)||
|Lv.4 (HWL | HWDE)||
Water Dragon Scale +
|Lv.4+ (HWL | HWDE)||
Sun Dragon Scale
|Y Y Y Y Y Y|
|Y Y Y Y X|
|Y Y Y Y Y Y Y|
|Y Y Y Y Y X|
Ruto winks to the screen, then forms a pool of water on the ground around her, which quickly turns into a whirlpool as she swims around in it. After a few seconds, the whirlpool shifts into a watery twister, before exploding and throwing enemies outwards. This attack damages enemies in a circular range around Ruto.
|Names in Other Regions|
|ゾーラのウロコ (Zōra no Uroko) (TFH)||Zōra Scale|
|Écaille de Zora (PH | TFH)|
|Zora-Schuppe (PH | TFH)|
|Squama di Zora (OoA | TFH)||Same as English.|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
|Name||Applies to||Source||Superseded by|
|Zora Scale gameplay from Hyrule Warriors|
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 143
- "You got the Silver Scale! Jump into the water and press (A). You can dive deeper than you could before." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "You got the Golden Scale! Jump into the water and press (A). Now you can dive much deeper than you could before!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "You have done so much for us! Our seas are clean and all is well! I offer you our symbol of heroism--the Zora Scale!" — Zora (Oracle of Ages)
- "The seas beyond here swallow up all who venture into them--the Sea of Storms! I can't allow a child like you to pass! The Zora Scale? So you're Link! You may pass!" — Zora (Oracle of Ages)
- "Har! Ye've got the Zora's Scale sea charm! Aye, that could calm this Sea o' Storms!" — Cap'n (Oracle of Ages)
- "Thank'ee! Now we can escape these seas!" — Cap'n (Oracle of Ages)
- "Take this as a sign o' me thanks! It's the jewel called the Tokay Eyeball! It's said to be the thing that opens the way to the ancient tomb." — Cap'n (Oracle of Ages)
- "It's said that a Zora dropped this rare and sparkling scale!" — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Garments made of Zora scales. They let you breathe and swim in water but are weak against fire and ice." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "Ecco la Squama di Zora!" — N/A (Oracle of Ages, Italian localization)
- "Squama di Zora" — Material List (Tri Force Heroes)
- "ゾーラのウロコ" — Material List (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Zora-Schuppe" — Inventory (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Zora-Schuppe" — Material List (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Ecaille de Zora" — Inventory (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Écaille de Zora" — Material List (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Escama de Zora" — Inventory (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Escama de zora" — Material List (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Écaille de Zora" — Inventory (Phantom Hourglass)
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages—Official Strategy Guide (Pocket Guide), BradyGames, pg. 95 (OoA)