Ampilus resemble a cross between a squilla and an ammonite. If they spot Link, they will withdraw into their shells and roll at him with their electrically-charged shells. After a short time, they will cease rolling. If they roll into a wall or ledge, they will recoil and become dizzy. Link can then take advantage of this to slice their exposed bodies. Link can also defeat them by sneaking up behind them unnoticed and quickly attacking their bodies. Shield Bashing them while they are rolling will instantly stun them, opening up their defenses. However, if Link uses an Iron Shield, he will be shocked by their electrical charge. Ampilus will become tense and cease movement when they detect a Beetle, making it easy to kill them by dropping Bombs on them.
After they are defeated, they leave behind their spiral shells which Link can use as platforms to cross the Sinksand streams covering a majority of the Lanayru Desert. Ampilus that walk on sand will be replaced by another Ampilus shortly after the previous one's shell has disappeared. However, Ampilus that are on stable ground will not.
シャコマイト (Shakomaito), the Japanese name for Ampilus, might be a compound of シャコ (Shako), a Mantis Shrimp species widespread in Japan, and マイト (Maito). Ampilus are intended to partially resemble mantis shrimp, albeit those of the Squilla genus.
|Names in Other Regions|
|シャコマイト (Shakomaito) (SS)||Ampilus|
|Crustaroule (SSHD)||Portmanteau of crustacé (crustacean) and roule (roll).|
|Rollkrebs (SSHD)||From roll and Krebs (crab).|
|Cangrancola (SSHD)||From cangrejo ermitaño (hermit crab).|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Target lock: Ampilus" — Fi (Skyward Sword HD)
- "Specifically, an enemy called Ampilus appears. It sort of looks like a cross between a squilla (a type of mantis shrimp) and an ammonite." —Hidemaro Fujibayashi (Iwata Asks: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword : Twice (or Five Times) the Fun.)
- "I suppose I should warn you that it won't protect you from electricity, which could come as a nasty...shock." — Rupin (Skyward Sword HD)
- Hyrule Encyclopedia, Ambit Ltd., pg. 177
- "Dies ist ein Rollkrebs." — Fi (Skyward Sword HD, German localization)
- "La cible verrouillée est un Crustaroule." — Fi (Skyward Sword HD, European French localization)
- "El objetivo seleccionado es una cangrancola." — Fi (Skyward Sword HD, European Spanish localization)
- "Doelwit: Ampilus" — Fi (Skyward Sword HD, Dutch localization)