Location and Uses
Normally, the inhabitants of Skyloft cannot reach the Surface, and in fact its lands are simply a legend for them. However, the Ancient Tablet, when placed in the altar inside the Chamber of the Sword, allows Link to penetrate the Cloud Barrier by forming a Column of Light in each of the three regions of the surface. The tablet is broken into three parts - Emerald, Ruby and Amber. These three fragments open the way to Faron Woods, Eldin Volcano and Lanayru Desert, respectively.
List of Tablets
The Amber Tablet is found in the Earth Spring, located behind the room where Link fights Scaldera in the Earth Temple. As with the Ruby Tablet, hitting the Goddess Crest with a Skyward Strike leads to another message from the gods and the acquisition of the Amber Tablet. When the Amber Tablet is returned to the altar inside the Chamber of the Sword, the entire Ancient Tablet is reassembled and a cloud rift with a yellow light pillar appears in the southwestern part of The Sky. This marks the way to Lanayru Desert, the final continuous area of The Surface reachable from The Sky.
Tears of the Kingdom
The Ancient Tablets are found on Small Islands found throughout the Sky. Link cannot read them himself, but they can be photographed and shown to Wortsworth to decipher as part of the Side Adventure "Messages from an Ancient Era". In some cases, the center of a Small Island will give away when Link stands on it, causing the Ancient Tablet to fall to the Surface below. In one case, the Ancient Tablet will even fall into the Depths.
The Ancient Tablets, diegetically in the Ancient Hyrulean language, are written in an imitation of Middle English, though with the occasional real word. This is an idiosyncracy unique to the English localization; in other languages, Wortsworth simply translates the text of the tablets directly before giving his understanding.
List of Ancient Tablets
|Names in Other Regions|
|宝珠の石版 (Houshu no Sekiban) (SS)||Jewel Tablet|
|古代石版 (Gǔdài shíbǎn) (SSHD)|
|Stèle ancienne (SS)|
|Stèle ancienne (SS)|
|Alte Steintafel (SS)||Old Stone Tablet|
|Litografía arcana (SS)||Arcane Lithography|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword—Prima Official Game Guide (Collector's Edition, 2013), Prima Games, pg. 22
- "Ancient Tablet
Deciphered" — Map (Tears of the Kingdom)
- "Did you notice the number 13 there? That means there are 12 more stone tablets to be found." — Wortsworth (Tears of the Kingdom)
- "From the edge of time I guide you, the one destined to carry out the goddess's mission. The spirit maiden who descended from the clouds has passed through the Earth Spring and makes her way to a fated place. The parched desert of Lanayru... That is where the chosen will pass through the Gate of Time into a distant world." — Fi (Skyward Sword HD)
- "It's etched with ancient Hyrulean text. You cannot read it." — Game Screen (Tears of the Kingdom)
- "古代石版" — Gear (Skyward Sword HD, Simplified Chinese localization)