Anjean (pronounced /ænˈdʒiːn/, an-JEEN) is a character in Spirit Tracks. She is a member of the Lokomo people and the protector of the Tower of Spirits, the central hub of the Spirit Tracks, whose goal is to prevent the evil Malladus from breaking free of his imprisonment. Anjean provides the Spirit Train, which Link and Princess Zelda use along their quest. Anjean was also a very close friend with Tetra after she met her shortly after the feisty pirate arrived to the land that would become the next Hyrule. As a result of their strong friendship, Anjean gave Tetra the sacred instrument known as the Spirit Flute, but only under the condition that she and her descendants would use it to protect the land.
As the guardian of the Tower of Spirits, Anjean plays a major role, providing both Link and Princess Zelda with helpful advice on how to help restore the Spirit Tracks and destroy Malladus, once and for all. She also supplies most of the background information about the Lokomo, the Spirit Flute, and the Spirit Tracks. One of Anjean's most notable abilities is her skill to telepathically communicate with others, which she does frequently to aid the young heroes in their quest.
Anjean is first introduced after Link and Princess Zelda arrive to the Tower of Spirits for the first time. Here, she elaborates to the young duo how Malladus is being imprisoned by the use of the energy that the Spirit Tracks provide between the Tower of Spirits and the four Temples, keeping Malladus' prison intact. Moreover, she reveals that in order for Malladus to truly resurrect, he needs Princess Zelda's physical body to act as a vessel. Anjean tasks Link and Princess Zelda with restoring the Spirit Tracks to the Tower of Spirits to fortify Malladus' prison, thus prevent his resurrection. After Link and Princess Zelda successfully retrieve the first Rail Map, Anjean explains that they must travel to the different Realms of Hyrule and ask for the Lokomo' help by playing their sacred Instruments and thus reveal the Spirit Tracks leading to the Temples. She then lends to Link and Princess Zelda the Spirit Flute, one of the sacred Instruments needed to restore the Spirit Tracks, as well as the Spirit Train to help them travel easily between Realms.
After Link and Princess Zelda retrieve the Fire Rail Map from the Tower of Spirits, they are confronted by Byrne, and just as he is about to attack them, Anjean shows up and stops him. As Anjean affronts Byrne, it is revealed that he used to be her apprentice, but left her teachings once he found out that the Spirits of Good would never provide him with any more power, thus pushing him towards joining in the resurrection of Malladus. Anjean, ashamed of his recent actions since the Spirits of Good sent them to protect the land, calls him an "unworthy apprentice," for no matter how many times she corrected his behavior, he would never listen to her. After Byrne explains his reasoning behind his actions, Anjean gives up hope in convincing him otherwise and urges Link and Princess Zelda to hurry to the Fire Temple, warping them to the entrance of the Tower of Spirits while she ensues in combat against Byrne.
Once Malladus is resurrected and escapes with Cole to the Dark Realm using the Demon Train, Anjean appears again, seemingly unharmed from her battle with Byrne, although she mentions she was not able to best him since he had gotten stronger. Princess Zelda then asks her if there is a way to force Malladus out of her body, and Anjean mentions that the Bow of Light, which was used in the War between the Spirits of Good and Malladus, could drive his spirit out from Princess Zelda's body. To reach the Sand Temple, the location of the Bow of Light, she gives them a Force Gem, revealing the Spirit Tracks to the Sand Sanctuary, sending them to their next task.
With the Bow of Light in hand, Link and Princess Zelda return to Anjean, and although Anjean tried to find where Malladus and Cole had gone to, she could not pinpoint their exact location. Byrne, who had been left in the care of Anjean after he was betrayed and injured by Malladus and Cole, tells them to find the Compass of Light beneath the altar in the Tower of Spirits, which reveals the location of the Demon Train within the Dark Realm. Before Link departs to find the Compass of Light, Anjean gives him the Lokomo Sword. Although only Spirits had wielded it before, she entrusts it to him, saying that he is the one meant to wield it.
After the defeat of the Demon Train, Anjean wishes to accompany Link and Princess Zelda on their battle against Malladus. However, since her wounds from her battle against Byrne are still fresh, Princess Zelda urges her to rest, for she and Link will face Malladus alone. At the least, Anjean provides Princess Zelda a Phantom to aid Link in their upcoming battle. She then blesses them and tells them to go forward with caution.
Anjean is last seen once Link and Princess Zelda defeat Malladus: seeing how their protection is no longer needed, Anjean and the rest of the Lokomo depart to the heavens, entrusting Link and Princess Zelda to watch over the land in their stead. Anjean's vehicle is last seen in Princess Zelda's office during the ending sequence.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
|#||Trophy||Appears in||Description||How to unlock|
|235||N/A||Spirit Tracks||An ancient wisewoman and guardian of the spirit tower. She is the leader of the Lokomo and was once Byrne's teacher. Anjean provides guidance to the young hero and engineer, Link, as he tries to stop Chancellor Cole's plot to resurrect the Demon King.||Random|
- It is implied that Anjean's sacred Instrument is the Spirit Flute. However, she no longer owns it as she gave it to the current Princess Zelda's great-great grandmother, Tetra, who was a very close friend to Anjean.
- Anjean has a hairstyle very similar to Tetra, the incarnation of Princess Zelda one hundred years prior to Spirit Tracks. She is also usually seen with a winking expression, a habit she shares with Tetra.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Doruotea||"Due" (two) + "ruota" (wheel)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "It's my turn now, Master. It's...the least I can do." — Byrne (Spirit Tracks)
- "If Anjean were here, she'd never forgive you!" — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 289 (ST)
- "Well, I wouldn't put it exactly that way. But I do watch over the Tower of Spirits." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Feisty AND bright, just like she was! The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, does it? Yes, I knew one of your ancestors. I met her when she had just arrived here. She and I were friends for a very long time." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Yes! And it was I who gave it to your ancestors! But only under the condition that they protect the land for all time. Of course, back then, I didn't think things would take such a perilous turn. I'm glad that after all these years it has found its way into your hands." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "It's not chains or bars that keep him imprisoned, but an energy that flows between the tower and the four temples that surround it." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Of course, in order to resurrect Malladus, they need one other key ingredient... A vessel from the royal line of ancient Hyrule, with sacred power coursing through its veins. Yes, Malladus requires YOU in order to return. But...only your shell, my dear." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "To prevent him from possessing your body, you must fortify his prison. To do this, restore the energy between the temples and this tower. In other words... Restore the tracks between here and the temples." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Not yet. But there is a way to restore energy to the rail maps. You can ask my people to help you." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "No, you two will have need of it. Please take it with you! For now... You must go find the other Lokomos and restore the energy of the rail maps. Once you do, the Spirit Tracks will reappear." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "This train is a symbol of the spirits. People don't ordinarily ride around in it. But these are no ordinary circumstances. I'm sure the spirits wouldn't mind lending it to you." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Stop, Byrne." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "I always suspected this day would come. Indeed, I had a premonition the day you left the tower. No matter how many times I corrected your behavior, you never were very good at listening, were you? You were an unworthy apprentice. And now look at you. How can I face the spirits of good? The spirits sent us here to continue their work! That you would try to resurrect the Demon King... It's unfathomable to me." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "...Your thoughts are twisted. It's obvious that the time for saving you is past. My words would only be lost on you. Hurry to the Fire Temple, Your Highness. Quickly! You too, Link! Restore the Spirit Tracks! But, Anjean-- Go! I will handle this situation. Now then... Shall we begin?" — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "I...I couldn't best Byrne. I have to admit, he has grown very strong. Of course, he's had a century to train. And he's always had the drive to succeed." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "In the battle between the Demon King and the spirits, there was a weapon called the Bow of Light... Perhaps it can drive his spirit from your body." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "While you two were busy obtaining the Bow of Light, I have been searching for the Demon Train. That's the train that Malladus used to escape. But he and Cole have hidden it too well..." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "The Demon Train comes from the Dark Realm. But even Cole didn't know its exact location at first. He had me build a compass using the spirits' power to find the Demon Train in the Dark Realm." — Byrne (Spirit Tracks)
- "This Lokomo Sword was a gift from one of the spirits. As such, it is filled with sacred energy. It has felled many evil creatures in its lifetime. Until now, only the spirits have wielded this blade..." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Before you go, please take this, Link. I think you're the one who is meant to use it." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "I shall accompany you from here on out. It's too dangerous for just the two of you." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "But your wounds from our battle are still fresh. And what's to come will be very demanding. It's my turn now, Master. It's...the least I can do." — Byrne (Spirit Tracks)
- "Yes, Anjean, it's time for you to rest. [Link] and I can take care of them. After all, it's just Malladus and Cole. It'll be a piece of cake." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "As you wish, my dear. It's up to you two, then, Link and Zelda. May the spirits be with you. I can do no more. You must go forth on your own." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "You see, as Lokomos... We weren't only meant to protect the Spirit Tracks. We were also meant to watch over mankind. But our protection is no longer needed. Even without the spirits' guidance, you will do well. So I think I will return to the heavens... In the company of my old friend Byrne. Please watch over this land, my dear. And, Link...You must help her." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- Hyrule Encyclopedia, Ambit Ltd., pg. 287 (ST)
- "Mein Name ist Shiene." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Je suis Bicelle, la vieille femme de la tour des dieux." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Me llamo Radiel." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Je m'appelle Axelle." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Podéis llamarme Radiel." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)