Boos are enemies in Link's Awakening.[name references needed][note 1] They are directly based on the Boo enemies from the Mario series.
Boo Buddies only appear in a single dark room in the Bottle Grotto, housing the Power Bracelet. Unlike their Mario counterparts, which are typically shy and hide when stared at, they do not shy away from Link and actively pursue him in the darkness of the room. When struck with the Sword they disappear, only to reappear elsewhere and continue their assault. They can only be defeated by lighting one of the torches in the room with Magic Powder; doing so will weaken them and turn them dark as they flee in defeat. At this point, Link can strike them with his blade to destroy them, or wait until they have left, upon which point the chest containing the Power Bracelet will appear.
- Using light to weaken or defeat enemies occurs in many later Zelda games. A number of enemies, such as ReDeads and Nocturn (a very similar ghost enemy), can be defeated in this way.
- In the Nintendo Switch version of Link's Awakening, Boos are voiced by Sanae Suzaki, who voices them since Mario Power Tennis.
Boo Buddy's Japanese name, Teresa, comes from the Japanese word 照れる (Tereru), meaning "to be shy", fitting their bashful nature.
|Names in Other Regions|
|テレサ (Teresa) (LANS)|
|Buu Huu (LANS)||Boo Hoo|
|Boo (LA | LADX)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please contact a staff member with a reference.
- ↑ Boos were referred to as Boo Buddies in all versions of Link's Awakening prior to Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch and as Boo Buddles in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America. However, as these contradict the name given in Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch, they are not considered Canon.
- ↑ Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 168
- ↑ The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide, Nintendo of America, pg. 99
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Enciclopedia di Hyrule, Magazzini Salani, pg. 168