The Cubus Sisters appear as four young human girls, identical in appearance but dressed in differing colors, who are encountered on the Ghost Ship. Link finds the sister in red cowering in a corner on the first floor while a group of Poes haunt the area. Once the Poes are defeated, she introduces herself to Link as the youngest daughter of the House of Cubus, having been kidnapped along with her three older sisters and held captive on the Ship. She somehow has knowledge of Link's name and his quest to rescue Tetra, and seems relieved that a hero has arrived to save her sisters as well.
Each of the three remaining Cubus Sisters can be found in a cell on the three respective floors of the Ghost Ship. Link must free the sisters and lead them one-by-one to where the youngest sister awaits on the top floor. If Link gets separated by more than a short distance from the girl he's leading, or if a Skulltula descends into her line of sight, she'll begin to cower in fear and require Link's reassurance to continue.
When speaking to the Sisters, they will occasionally show signs of their true, evil nature, either by giving Link poor advice, or through a simple slip of the tongue. Once the four girls are reunited, they will gather around and hiss at Link, sharing disbelief that he survived the Reaplings and the Ship's various traps, and declaring that it's time to "play extra rough". They transport Link and themselves to the Ship's deck and reveal their true forms.
The battle against the Cubus Sisters takes place across both screens of the Nintendo DS, with the sisters flying around overhead. The youngest sister will launch balls of energy down at Link in a game of Dead Man's Volley, while the others fire beams of light that Link must avoid. After outmatching the youngest sister and striking her with her own energy ball twice, she will be defeated and the remaining sisters will continue the battle.
With three or fewer left, the sisters will begin to pass the moving energy ball between themselves several times before returning it to Link, in an attempt to disorient the hero. The first sister to be struck by the ball twice will be defeated. When two sisters remain, some of the energy balls they launch will be decoys with a different appearance, which will split apart if Link strikes them with his Sword, likely causing him harm. The final remaining sister will launch three energy balls toward Link at once; two decoys and one real one. The final sister must be struck three more times before she'll fall, feign congratulations, then disappear, leaving behind the Ghost Key needed to enter the Ship's hull where Tetra is trapped.
If Link does not obtain the Heart Container from the Treasure Chest before leaving the Ghost Ship, it will be mailed to him by an unknown sender. The Letter's phrasing suggests that it comes from the Cubus Sisters themselves.
Phantom Hourglass Manga
Only one of the Cubus Sisters makes an appearance in the Phantom Hourglass manga by Akira Himekawa. She is first seen briefly in Linebeck's flashback. On the Ghost Ship, the Cubus Sister carries a platter of food, and thanks Linebeck's crew for saving her. Although, the crew is soon cursed and turned into monsters, causing Linebeck to flee by himself.
The Cubus Sister is seen again sobbing next to Tetra, who has been turned to stone. She introduces herself to Link, and says that she was kidnapped by the Ghost Ship and rescued by Tetra. The Cubus Sister begins crying again, and explains that Tetra took her place and was cursed. Link asks who cursed Tetra. The Cubus Sister responds that the living dead below deck did so. Linebeck then confronts the two, commenting that the Cubus Sister is tricky as ever, and asks how many sailors she lured this way. The Cubus Sister calls Linebeck a coward, and asks how he can criticize her after abandoning his comrades. The Cubus Sister continues, telling the captain that his comrades were all captured and cursed, and that they wander below deck screaming their hatred for him. Linebeck falls to the ground and calls her a devil. She tells the captain that she will take him to join his comrades, and transforms into her demonic form. Before the Cubus Sister can harm Linebeck, Ciela, Leaf, and Neri attack her. Link defends Linebeck, although the Cubus Sister says he will betray the hero as he did his shipmates. Link demands the Cubus Sister return those she cursed to normal. The Cubus Sister claims it is too late, that once he enters the Ghost Ship he is already lost and will join the living dead. The demon begins attacking Link. In an attempt to finish the hero, the Cubus Sister aims an energy ball at Link, but hits Tetra's statue instead. Princess Zelda comes out of the statue, and reflects the energy ball back to the Cubus Sister. The Cubus Sister charges Link, outraged at being hit with her own power. Link then defeats the demon with his sword, ordering her to return to darkness and never come back.
- In the Japanese version, the Cubus Sisters only made sounds when they fired energy balls. They were given a sound for receiving energy balls and dying in the international versions.
The name "Cubus" may based off of the word Succubus, which refers to a female demon which seduces men in order to steal their life force.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||地獄四姉妹 キュバス (Jigoku Yon Shimai Kyubasu)||Hellish Four Cubus Sisters|
|FrenchEU||Les quatre sɶurs Cubus||The four Cubus Sisters|
|German||Diabolische Kubus-Schwestern||Diabolical Cubus Sisters|
|Italian||Cubus, Sorelle Diaboliche||Cubus, Diabolical Sisters|
|Korean||지옥 네자매 큐버스|
|SpanishEU||Hermanas diabólicas Cubus||Diabolical Cubus Sisters|
- "Diabolical Cubus Sisters" — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 172
- "I am the youngest daughter of the great house of Cubus... My sisters were living in peace, when we were suddenly snatched away! We've been locked up on this boat ever since, waiting to be saved." — Cubus Sisters (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh! You... Could you be the legendary Link?" — Cubus Sisters (Phantom Hourglass)
- "But...everything is fine now that you're here to rescue us, Link! This is your chance to be a true hero!" — Cubus Sisters (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh... I'm so sorry. I was frozen with terror! When I am surprised or get left behind, I start to panic! When that happens, please come close to me and speak to me." — Cubus Sisters (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh, yes, Link. A lovely treasure rests here... There are two chests. If you must pick one, definitely pick the left... Left! Yes, yes...the left!" — Cubus Sisters (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh! There is one thing I have to tell you. The creepy creatures with the hoods and sickles are called Reaplings. They are evil, but they are even more devilish when they're angry... So no matter what you do, don't shoot arrows into their backs." — Cubus Sisters (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Most of the abducted have fallen victim to the Reaplings in the hold. I must say, they are... Fallen! Fallen! They are the fallen! Oh, excuse me! Never mind that. I don't know what came over me..." — Cubus Sisters (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Hssss! The Reaplings should've scared the life from this boy in the hold... Doesn't he know how he's supposed to play along in this little game?" — Cubus Sisters (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Teehee! All it means is we're going to have to play extra rough!" — Cubus Sisters (Phantom Hourglass)
- "You really know how to play, Link... Gosh, we'd love to reward you, but we don't have any trophies for you. Instead, you can...teehee...drag that precious Tetra of yours with you. Tee-hee!" — Cubus Sisters (Phantom Hourglass)
- "It's yours, Link, but there's no return address. Who's it from?!" — Postman (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Say, did you leave something important on the ship? Maybe a Heart Container? We grabbed it for you, so please take it. We're closely watching your epic adventure, Oh scatterbrained one... From very high in the sky!" — Letter (Phantom Hourglass)
- "All right, everyone! Eat up!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 110)
- "Thank you so much... For saving me." (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 110)
- "You are already... Under the curse!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 111)
- "Linebeck ran off alone!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 111)
- "Tetra! Sh-She's been turned to stone!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 117)
- "I am one of the Cubus Sisters. I was kidnapped by the Ghost Ship... But though I was also kidnapped, Tetra rescued me." (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 117)
- "Tetra took my place and was turned to stone! She was cursed! WAAAAH" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 118)
- "Who did this to Tetra?" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 118)
- "The living dead below deck." (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 118)
- "You're tricky as ever. How many sailors have you lured in like that?" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 118)
- "Oh my! Is that... The coward, Linebeck?" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 118)
- "As if you have any right to criticize me! You, who escaped alone and left his comrades to die!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 119)
- "Every single one of your comrades was captured and cursed. Denied either life or death... They wander the lower decks... Screaming out their hatred for you!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 119)
- "Stop it, you devil!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 120)
- "Poor, cowardly Linebeck... I'll take you to your comrades..." (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 120)
- "Oh my! You would risk yourselves for him? He betrayed his shipmates... And he will betray you too." (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 121)
- "Are you the one that did this to Tetra?! Lift the curse now! Return everyone you've captured to normal!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 121)
- "... It's too late! Once you step on this ship... You've already lost. You will all become the living dead!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 122)
- "Time to finish you!!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 124)
- "Zelda... I mean... Tetra!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 127)
- "Why, you-! How dare you hit me with my own power?!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 128)
- "Return to darkness, and don't come back!" (Phantom Hourglass (Himekawa), VIZ Media, pg. 129)