Malon is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series. In the majority of games she has appeared in, she is the daughter of the rancher Talon, who owns Lon Lon Ranch. Portrayed as a kind-hearted and responsible girl, Malon is often seen taking care of Epona, one of the Ranch's Horses. She also enjoys singing, specifically "Epona's Song".
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Malon is a young girl who loves to sing outside Hyrule Castle's walls at night. She, along with Ingo, takes care of most of the duties at Lon Lon Ranch due to her father's laziness. Link first meets Malon, who calls him "Fairy Boy", in the Market where she is looking for her father, Talon. Link finds Talon asleep outside Hyrule Castle and wakes him up using the Cucco that hatched from the Weird Egg Malon gave him. After this, Talon returns to the Ranch and reunites with Malon. When Link visits Malon at the Ranch, she introduces him to a young Horse named Epona, and teaches the young hero "Epona's Song", a song her mother composed.
When Link returns to Lon Lon Ranch seven years later, he discovers that Ingo exiled Talon and took over the Ranch. Malon has been working for Ingo out of fear of the Ranch's Horses facing abuse from him if she disobeys his orders. Moreover, since Ingo was struggling to tame Epona, he was planning to give her as a present to Ganondorf, though Malon was the only one who could tame her. Malon tells Link that she recognized him but was not sure who he was until he told her his name.
As a Mini-Game, Malon lets him compete in her Obstacle Course around Lon Lon Ranch to challenge her best time. When he is able to beat her time, she rewards him by sending a Cow to his House in Kokiri Forest, which may be used as a free source of Milk. Should Link best his own time afterwards, Malon will simply compliment his and Epona's teamwork.
With the Mask of Truth, Link can learn from the Gossip Stones that Malon dreams for a knight to take her away. A Gossip Stone in front of the Temple of Time also says that Malon was the original record holder of the Lon Lon Ranch obstacle course, her record being 50 seconds.
Ocarina of Time is the only game in which Malon's mother is mentioned. She is not present by the time of the events of Ocarina of Time, but it is clear she had a great influence on Malon and the others on the Ranch. She was the one who composed "Epona's Song", which is said to be liked by everyone on the farm. If Link speaks to Talon while wearing the Gerudo Mask or the Goron Mask, he says that it reminds him of his wife, but he quickly retracts that statement.
Oracle of Seasons
Malon plays a small role in the Trading Game for Oracle of Seasons. She lives with her father Talon north of Horon Village, where the two raise Cuccos. When Link first meets her, Talon has gone to climb Mt. Cucco and has left Malon to raise the Cuccos by herself; however, she confesses to the young hero that she does not know much about the hens. Link can help her by giving her the Cuccodex, an information database of Cuccos, in exchange for a Lon Lon Egg.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Malon appears on The Field stage. Upon arriving, the Links encounter Malon standing by herself. She tells them that she was running errands, but just as she was about to head back to her home, it started raining; furthermore, the Soldiers were moving all the Cannons. Helpless, Malon asks the four Links if she can accompany them until she gets back to Lon Lon Ranch with her father, Talon. During their travel, Malon can be killed by the Castle guards, as she has only one Heart Container. Once the Links return her safely to the ranch, she admits that at first she was not sure she could count on them, but soon realized her mistake and acknowledges the Links as real heroes.
The Minish Cap
This small ranch lies just outside
This small ranch lies just outside
Link first encounters Malon after speaking with the Town Minish in Rem's Shoe Store. She and Talon are locked out of their House. Link helps them by shrinking to Minish size and going into their House to find the Spare Key, which is inside a Jar. This gives him access to Lake Hylia and the northern portion of Minish Woods, where Syrup the Witch's Hut is located.
Whenever Link speaks to Malon, a brief portion of "Epona's Song" plays.
Ocarina of Time (Himekawa)
Malon is first seen at a young age, after Link has played Saria's Ocarina, which attracts Epona. The two ride off, just as Malon is calling for the missing steed. After retrieving the Goron's Ruby with aid from Epona, Link readies himself to search for the final Spiritual Stone, but is delayed by the sound of singing, which he finds curious since it's late at night. Malon startles Link as he pets Epona, but exclaims her excitement at finally having a visitor. She gives Link a tour of Lonlon Ranch, introducing her father Talon and their ranch hand, Ingo. She becomes upset at her father snoozing with company present, but laughs and responds positively to Ingo's comment on her father's laziness. Eventually, Malon introduces herself, and tells of Epona's love for music. She then teaches Link "Epona's Song". Link asks Malon where her mother is,  revealing that she died when Malon was little. She says how singing at night makes her feel better, which Link relates to with his Ocarina. Malon talks about her dream, where a prince comes to carry her away. She then asks Link about his dream, although not too long later, an owl, Kaepora Gaebora, arrives. The owl explains to Link where the Spiritual Stone of Water is, so Link departs with him to Zora's Domain. Link promises Malon he will return, with Malon herself saying that he should hold true to his promise.
Malon is not seen again until part two of Ocarina of Time manga. An adult Malon has become a prisoner of Ingo, who was brainwashed by Twinrova to lure Link in order to defeat him. As Ingo whips Lonlon Ranch's horses, Malon asks him to stop, where he replies that she is no longer the Ranch's mistress, ordering her to obey him. She asks him why she is tied up, revealing the brainwashed man's plan to draw "him" out, but Malon doesn't realize the man Ingo speaks of is Link. Link spots Malon through the stable window, but is urged by Navi to go quietly, since Malon's captor may still be present. Malon begins to shed tears, lamenting her poor life, but still holds onto the belief that a prince will one day save her. Unexpectedly, Link falls in front of Malon. At first she doesn't recognize him, until he plays "Epona's Song" on the Ocarina of Time. Malon then becomes excited, asking why he is there, but loses interest once Link explains he has come to rescue her.  She claims to be waiting for a prince, not a fairy child. Despite this, Link grabs her by the arm and dashes away. Before they can escape, Ingo and a band of Gerudo block their exit. Malon is amazed at how Link has grown up, watching him defeat the Gerudo warriors. She even goes as far to wonder if Link is indeed the prince she has been waiting for. As Link and Malon try to figure out why Ingo is acting the way he is, Sheik arrives. When Sheik passes on a rumor of Princess Zelda being at the Haunted Wastelands, Malon notices Link's concern, and that he refers to her simply as Zelda instead of her full title. Malon becomes saddened, as she realizes her romance towards Link is hopeless. Grabbing a pitchfork, she then fights alongside Link to regain control of Lonlon Ranch. Once Link has undone Ingo's brainwashing, Malon and the men mount Epona and escape Lonlon Ranch until the Gerudo leave.
Malon is last seen bidding farewell to Link and Epona with her father and Ingo at the ranch. She finally calls Link a "Hero" instead of "Fairy Child", promising to keep a Cow just for him if he ever needs Milk.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
|#||Trophy||Appears in||Description||How to unlock|
|222||N/A||Ocarina of Time
Ocarina of Time 3D
|Talon's daughter, Malon, works on their ranch and loves to sing to the animals. When Link proves worthy of Epona, she teaches him "Epona's Song." She is more serious than her father, but a certain source of gossip reveals that she dreams of a knight sweeping her off her feet.||Random|
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
In an Ocarina of Time developer's interview posted on Shigesato Itoi's website, 1101.com, script writer Toru Osawa said that Talon and Malon from Ocarina of Time are based on Tarin and Marin from Link's Awakening, and it is intended that players who have played the previous game will recognize the reference.
- The symbols on the bottom of her dress spell Lon in Hylian.
- Both Malon and Talon wear Bowser brooches.
- According to the Hyrule Historia, Tarin and Marin may be the product of Link's memories of Malon and Talon.
- Malo and Talo from Twilight Princess have names that reference Malon and Talon.
- Malon's voice can be heard in the Hyrule Field (Night) theme from Twilight Princess.
|Names in Other Regions|
|マロン (Maron) (OoT | TMC)|
|玛隆 (Mǎlóng) (OoT)|
|Malon (OoT | OoT3D | OoS | FSA | TMC)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "They say that Malon of Lon Lon Ranch hopes a knight in shining armor will come and sweep her off her feet someday." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 270 (TMC)
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 239,(OoT) 250,(OoS) 265 (FSA) & 270 (TMC)
- "Ohh... You're a fairy boy from the forest! My name is Malon! My dad owns Lon Lon Ranch!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "My name's Malon! I'm from the Lon Lon Ranch right up the road." — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- "The girl from the ranch asked us to find her father...I wonder where he is?" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh yeah, if you'll look for him, I'll give this to you. I've been incubating this egg very carefully... Tee hee!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "What?! Malon was looking for me? I'm gonna catch it from her now! I messed up bad, leaving Malon behind to wait for me! She's really gonna let me have it!" — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh yeah, I have to introduce you to my friend, fairy boy! She's this horse. Her name is Epona. Isn't she cute?" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "My mother composed this song. Isn't it nice? Let's sing together." — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh...a visitor! It's been a long time since we've had a visitor here... Where did you come from? Since Ganondorf came, people in the Castle Town have gone, places have been ruined, and monsters are wandering everywhere. Mr. Ingo is just using the ranch to gain Ganondorf's favor... Everyone seems to be turning evil... But Dad... He was kicked out of the ranch by Mr. Ingo... If I disobey Mr. Ingo, he will treat the horses so badly... So... There's nothing I can do..." — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Epona really liked that song... Only I could tame that horse... Even Mr. Ingo had a hard time... Hee hee hee!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Thank you very much for the other day... I haven't even asked you your name yet... ........ Really? Link! That's what I thought! You're the fairy boy from the forest! That was years ago! Do you remember me? You do? I was sure it was you because Epona remembered you! Oh, I have to tell you about Mr. Ingo... He was afraid that the Evil King might find out that Epona had been taken away... It really upset him! But one day, all of a sudden, he went back to being a normal, nice person! Now my dad is coming back...I can't believe it, but peace is returning to this ranch! It's all because of you! I owe you so much! Thank you! Thank you, Link!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "How about trying your skill with Epona on an obstacle course? I'll time you for two laps. It's pretty challenging. If you miss jumping a fence in the proper order, you'll fail. How about it? Do you want to try?" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "You and Epona make a great team!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "They say that Malon set the original record in the obstacle course of Lon Lon Ranch." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "You... Do you know my mother's song? Everyone really liked that song... My dad... Even Mr. Ingo..." — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, that reminds me of my wife... On second thought, it doesn't... It doesn't look like her at all!" — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "My dad, Talon, went to climb Mt. Cucco, so I have to care for our hens. But there's so much I don't know..." — Malon (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Say! Is that a Cuccodex? That would be a big help... May I have it? Really? Thank you! Take this! It's a Lon Lon Egg. These eggs are all the rage with cute girls!" — Malon (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Like today! I was coming home after running errands but...I couldn't get back. I mean, it started raining, and the castle guards were moving all the cannons... The cannons are really old, and they're not meant to be used... It was really weird." — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Say, if you're all going on ahead, take me with you! You're friends with the green fairy, so of course it's OK, right? Oh, great! Thanks! My name's Malon! I'm from the Lon Lon Ranch right up the road. It's not very far... Thanks, again!" — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I hate to admit it, but at first, I wasn't sure I could really count on you guys. But it turns out, you guys are the best! You're real heroes!" — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- "This small ranch lies just outside Hyrule Town. Father-and-daughter team Talon and Malon run it, and they sell the finest milk in Hyrule!" — Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- "Honestly! Where did Dad go this time?!? I leave for just a few minutes, and he locks up the ranch and takes off!" — Malon (The Minish Cap)
- "I lost my key, and I can't get inside. And the spare key's inside the house!" — Talon (The Minish Cap)
- "You really helped me out, sonny. If you ever want to go to Lake Hylia, use the shortcut out behind our ranch." — Talon (The Minish Cap)
- "Oh, hello there. I'm selling creamy, nutritious Lon Lon Milk for 100 Rupees per bottle. Would you like to buy some?" — Malon (The Minish Cap)
- "You want to fuse Kinstones? Sure!" — Malon (The Minish Cap)
- "Epona! Epona! Hmph! Has she run off again? Where can she be?" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 69)
- "I hear singing. Who could it be so late at night?" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 81)
- "Hurray! It's been a long time since we had a visitor! Welcome to Lonlon Ranch!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 82)
- "Father! What are you doing?! We've got visitors!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 83)
- "You're right, Ingo! You really do keep the place running!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 83)
- "I'm Malon. Epona loves singing and music" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 83)
- "This is Epona's Song." (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 83)
- "Where's your mother, Malon?" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 84)
- "She died when I was young." (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 84)
- "Singing at night makes me fee much better." (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 84)
- "Hmm... I guess that's how I am with this ocarina." (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 84)
- "Sometimes I pretend a prince will come down from beyond the moon... and take me away." (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 84)
- "Do you have a dream, Link?" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 84)
- "I'll be back, Malon!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 1, VIZ Media, pg. 85)
- "You better! You better come back!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 85)
- "Stop, Ingo! Don't hurt the horses!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 12)
- "Malon, you are no longer the mistress of the ranch... or anything else! Now do as I say, and be still!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 12)
- "Why did you tie me up?" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 12)
- "You're bait to draw him out." (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 13)
- ""Him?" "Him" who?" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 13)
- "Wait! Whoever did this is still out there! Go quietly, Link!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 13)
- "Life stinks... First my mom died when I was just a kid, so I grew up sweating and working to help my dad run the ranch... and now I've been kidnapped... but one day a prince on a white horse is sure to appear... and rescue pitiful ol' me!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 13)
- "Who're you?... Link? I don't know any Links." (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 14)
- "C'mon! Seven years ago you taught me Epona's Song!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 14)
- "Oh, the fairy child from the forest! What are you doing here?" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 14)
- "I came to rescue you. So let's go!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 14)
- "I appreciate the thought, but I'm waiting to be saved by a prince... not a fairy child." (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 14)
- "Wow! The fairy child's grown up!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 15)
- "Could he be... my prince?... Maybe he is!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 16)
- "How come you don't call her "Princess"? How close are you two?" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 21)
- "You don't have to answer. I can see it in your eyes... Oh well... there goes my romance..." (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 21)
- "Good Luck, Fairy Child! Err... I mean Hero!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 24)
- "Come anytime! We'll keep a cow just for you!" (Ocarina of Time manga vol. 2, VIZ Media, pg. 23)
- "A father and daughter named Marin and Tarin that were introduced in Link's Awakening for GameBoy also appeared in this Zelda game. We're hoping that people who've played the Zelda series from the very beginning will recognize them. If you wonder "is this a reference to then?" we'll be happy." —Toru Osawa (Playing the Ocarina.)
- "I've always been a fan of country music, including people like Emmylou Harris so I insisted on having a songstress in the game. I changed the ranch girl Malon into a songstress, so the horses were attracted to her because of her song. However, this didn't really suit her dialogue at the time. Originally we had her singing alone in the middle of the ranch, but halfway through we changed it so she went to the castle, but then she didn't sing anymore. It was kind of fun to consider those kinds of things. So, that was mostly my part in creating the music." —Shigeru Miyamoto (Playing the Ocarina.)
- "Tarin and Marin may be the product of Link's memories of Malon and her father Talon, of Lon Lon Ranch" (Hyrule Historia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 102)
- Enciclopedia di Hyrule, Magazzini Salani, pg. 239
- "Mi chiamo Malon! La Fattoria Lon Lon appartiene a mio padre!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time 3D, Italian localization)
- "Casa di Talon e Malon" — Map (Oracle of Seasons, Italian localization)
- "Io sono Malon! Viva alla fattoria Lon Lon, su questa strada." — Malon (Four Swords Adventures, Italian localization)
- Encyclopedia, Magazzini Salani, pg. 270
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Shogakukan, pg. 140
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Shogakukan, pg. 145
- Encyclopedia, TOKYOPOP, pg. 270
- Encyclopedia, Les Éditions Soleil, pg. 239
- Ocarina of Time manual, iQue version, pg. 7
- Encyclopedia, Norma Editorial, pg. 270