Steem is a character from Spirit Tracks. He is a member of the Lokomo race and Guardian of the Snow Realm who resides in the Snow Sanctuary. Like the rest of the Lokomo people, Steem possesses a sacred instrument, his being the biwa, which generates energy to power the Spirit Tracks when played with another sacred instrument.
In order for Link to access the chamber of the sanctuary in which Steem is located, he must press a switch that opens the way to Steem. However, the young hero must reach the door before it closes without being "seen" by the head statues scattered across the room that are facing in different directions. Once the young hero successfully gets past the door, he will meet Steem, who will mention that he has heard all about Link and Zelda's journey to restore the Spirit Tracks. Link, using the Spirit Flute, then performs a duet with Steem to reveal the Spirit Tracks to the Snow Temple. Before the young hero heads out to the temple, Steem warns him about the violent blizzards that have been savaging the area around the temple.
After Link obtains a Freight Car for his Spirit Train, he can purchase a Vessel from the Wise One in Papuchia Village and transport it to Steem at the Snow Sanctuary. The Lokomo, who had been wanting a Vessel to decorate his Sanctuary, will give Force Gem 14 to the young hero as a sign of gratitude. If Link happens to damage the Vessel with his Sword, Steem will be shocked and demand a new one. Should Link return with a new Vessel, Steem will reward him for his thoughtfulness with a valuable Treasure.
During the final battle against Malladus, Princess Zelda sings a duet with Link, and soon after this, all five of the Lokomos, including Steem, join in to form a full orchestrated version of the piece. This melody weakens Malladus and reveals a weak spot in his back, which is necessary to defeat the Demon King once and for all.
Steem is last seen during the ending credits when Anjean, along with the rest of the Lokomos, departs towards the heavens after the defeat of the Demon King since their protection is no longer needed in the land of Hyrule.
Steem's name is a play on "steam".
|Names in Other Regions|
|スチム (Suchimu)||Corruption of スチーム (Suchīmu), "steam".|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
Steem playing a Lokomo Duet with Link
- "My name's Steem. I am indeed the guardian of the Snow Realm." — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "Steem was really angry at us... I hate to say it, [Link]... But it was your fault for breaking that vessel. We have to make it up to him. So let's get going!" — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 288
- "Indeed. We are called the Lokomos. We are servants of the spirits. They have entrusted us with protecting the temples and the Spirit Tracks. By playing our sacred instruments... We generate energy that powers the Spirit Tracks." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "When the door opens, head to the far room without being seen... And do it before the time runs out..." — Sign (Spirit Tracks)
- "Hoo hoo hoo! I've heard all about you two! You want to restore the Spirit Tracks, correct?" — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "I haven't been that nervous about performing in I don't know how long... But now the Spirit Tracks to the Snow Temple have been restored." — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "Oh, but there is one thing I should warn you of. Ferocious blizzards have been savaging the area around the temple. Be careful on your journey there!" — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "Ah, hello. I putt-putted over to meet you when I heard the train! I'm looking to redecorate my sanctuary, and I need a nice vessel. Can you bring me one?" — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "Thanks for the vessel! I'm all aflurry with gratitude!" — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "Wh-what is this?! What do you plan to do about this?!" — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "Bring me a vessel and be quick about it! Or else I'll never forgive you!" — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "Let's combine my sacred power with the power of the Spirit Flute! I think we can use them to weaken Malladus!" — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "But our protection is no longer needed. Even without the spirits' guidance, you will do well. So I think I will return to the heavens... In the company of my old friend Byrne." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Mi nomo Vaporius e detengo l'onore di vigilare sul Paese delle Nevi." — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- Hyrule Encyclopedia, Ambit Ltd., pg. 286 (ST)
- "Ich bin Turbin, Beschützer des Schneetals." — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "Mon nom est Dohmu! Je suis le gardien de la contrée des neiges!" — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "¡Pueden llamarme Váporo! Y sí, soy el sabio protector de la Región de las Nieves." — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "Mon nom est Papsou! Je suis le gardien de la contrée des neiges!" — Steem (Spirit Tracks)
- "¡Podéis llamarme Váporo! Y sí, soy el sabio protector de la Región de las Nieves." — Steem (Spirit Tracks)