Yuga is an evil sorcerer and one of the two primary antagonists of A Link Between Worlds. At the beginning of the game, Yuga hunts the descendants of the Seven Sages from Ocarina of Time/A Link to the Past, as well as Princess Zelda, in an attempt to resurrect Ganon and use his power to rule the worlds of Hyrule and Lorule, and ultimately take his place among the gods.
Yuga's trademark attribute is that he can transform himself and others into two-dimensional art. With his magic wand, he can trap people within picture frames, turning them into paintings that he can simply pick up and run off with.
Long before the events of A Link Between Worlds, Lorule was a beautiful kingdom similar to Hyrule; however, the kingdom had lost its Triforce in a fierce civil war, due to the Royal Family destroying it rather than seal it away, and slowly began to decay. Generations later, Yuga was serving Princess Hilda when he discovered a crack in Lorule's sacred realm that led to Hyrule; upon learning of the existence of another, relatively intact triforce in this realm, Hilda and Yuga formed a plan to obtain the sacred relic and use it to restore Lorule, despite knowing that doing so would doom Hyrule to Lorule's fate. As Hilda was not capable of merging so as to fit in the crack, she sent Yuga to Hyrule so as to start the first phase of their plan - namely, to abduct the sage's descendants and Zelda. Secretly, however, he intended to backstab Hilda to fulfill his own personal agenda to utilize the Triforce to ascend to godhood and remake existence into his image, and was using Hilda, with only Ravio seeing through Yuga's intentions.
Yuga's Hunt for Sages
Yuga is first seen within the Sanctuary by Link, who has traveled to the church-like building to deliver a sword to the Captain. Shortly after a nun named Seres enters the Sanctuary to fetch the Captain, screaming is heard and the doors leading inside are shut, however, Dampé informs the young hero of a hidden passageway leading into the sanctuary within the graveyard. Upon arriving into the Sanctuary's interior, Link finds the Captain has been turned into a lifeless painting on the wall and the Priest knocked onto the floor, confronting a mysterious man who reveals that his name is Yuga and that he has come to the Sanctuary seeking perfection. Yuga informs Seres that she is perfection, and turns the young girl into a painting and kidnaps her, claiming that "Her Grace" will be pleased, as Link can only watch helplessly. Yuga notices Link's presence within the church-like building and despite the Priest's warnings about Yuga's power, the sorcerer taunts Link into attacking him and swiftly turns into a drawing himself and hides in the wall, causing Link to crash into it and faint. Yuga exclaims that he is the portrait of perfection and that he'll be leaving this ugly world soon enough. The sorcerer then proceeds to leave the sanctuary, kicking Link out of his way and explains that the Captain couldn't even oppose his might, and that the painting of the captain upon the wall was a waste of his magic.
Under Princess Zelda's orders, Link heads to Kakariko Village to consult Sahasrahla for help due to his vast knowledge of the past. Upon entering the elder's dwelling, the young hero proceeds to inform Sahasrahla of the events that took place within the Sanctuary. After being told of what has occurred, the old man asks Link if he has heard of the legends of the Seven Sages and of the hero who saved Hyrule. The elder proceeds to tell the young hero about the legends of old, and after finishing, informs Link that Seres is a descendant of the Seven Sages who sealed Ganon in darkness and that Yuga must be after the Seven Sages of their day, with the intention of freeing Ganon from his prison. Additionally, Sahasrahla asks Link to travel to the Eastern Palace to warn his pupil Osfala, a descendant of the Seven Sages, about Yuga.
Link travels to the Eastern Palace, but once again arrives too late to save Osfala from being turned into a painting by Yuga who informs Osfala that he is the latest work of art to be added to his collection of Sages. Yuga takes notice of Link and attacks him, but the young hero soon overpowers him. Upon being defeated, the sorcerer casts a spell on Link and turns him into a wall painting, then leaves, implying to the young hero that he is heading to Hyrule Castle to turn Zelda into a painting next. However, unbeknownst to Yuga, a bracelet given to Link by Ravio for allowing him to live in his house allows Link to escape from his imprisonment as a painting. Subsequently, it also allows the young hero to merge with walls at will.
Yuga's Continuing Pursuit
After turning Link into a painting, Yuga leaves the Eastern Place and heads to Hyrule Castle, taking it over it. He sets up a magical barrier around it to prevent Impa, one of the Seven Sages, and Princess Zelda from escaping, as well as prevent anyone else from entering the castle. Additionally, the sorcerer releases hordes of cursed soldiers across Hyrule from the paintings depicting the cursed soldiers that were painted all over the walls surrounding the castle during an outbreak of vandalism. Yuga then proceeds to leave and wanders throughout Hyrule in search of the remaining four descendants of the Seven Sages: Irene, Gulley, Rosso and Oren. Upon arriving outside the castle, Sahasrahla attempts to break the magical barrier, but fails to. The wise elder tells Link that they must turn to the legends of old in order to find a solution, explaining to him that similar events occurred many years ago when Hyrule Castle was besieged by Agahnim. He states that the young hero had to find the Master Sword and prove himself worthy of wielding the blade by claiming the three Pendants of Virtue, however, he states that one of the three pendants is inside the castle with Princess Zelda. Fortunately, Link was given the Pendant of Courage by Princess Zelda while meeting with her earlier. Sahasrahla then tasks Link with obtaining the other two pendants from the Tower of Hera and the House of Gales, so that the young hero can be deemed worthy of wielding the Master Sword. However, as Link is traveling throughout the land to collect the Pendants of Virtue to obtain the legendary Master Sword, Yuga transforms the four remaining sages into paintings one by one.
After transforming the four remaining sages into paintings, Yuga travels back to Hyrule Castle to capture Impa, a sage, and Princess Zelda. However, Link obtains the Master Sword from deep within the Lost Woods. The young hero, wielding the legendary blade, heads to the castle and manages to successfully break the magical barrier surrounding the structure and heads inside. While scaling the castle's central tower, Link encounters Princess Zelda asking Yuga to stop his evil rampage. Yuga informs her that his plan is almost complete as he has possession of all seven Sages and proceeds to turn her into a painting despite her protesting and questioning of what he intends to do with the sages. After praising his painting, Yuga notices Link and is puzzled at first as he left the young hero to rot as a painting in the Eastern Palace, then the sorcerer summons four soldiers to buy him time and proceeds to the top of the castle. At the top of Hyrule Castle, Yuga informs Link that he refuses to let him delay his departure from Hyrule any further and attacks him, however, the young hero once again manages to best the sorcerer. Unfortunately, Yuga manages to escape to perform his ritual in another world's counterpart of Hyrule Castle, stating that once he releases Ganon, creatures like Link will not be worth his time.
In Lorule, Yuga uses the descendants of the Seven Sages along with Zelda to resurrect the Demon King and holder of the Triforce of Power, Ganon, who Yuga claims will help him attain true beauty. After releasing Ganondorf's soul from his seal, Yuga proceeds to merge with Ganon's form and the Triforce of Power, transforming into a monster-like being that takes on the attributes and personalities of both Yuga and Ganon. Possessing the Triforce of Power, Yuga Ganon attempts to finish Link only to be restrained with magic by a mysterious princess named Hilda, who informs Link that she can only hold Yuga Ganon at bay for so long and welcomes the young hero to her kingdom, Lorule. She informs the young hero that she knew of Yuga's plot to abduct Hyrule's Sages and Zelda, however, she failed to stop him, allowing Yuga to use them to siphon Ganon's power in order to gain enough power to destroy both Hyrule and Lorule. Hilda asks Link to awaken his full potential in order to defeat Yuga by stealing back the paintings of the Seven Sages, which have been sent to different locations throughout Lorule.
After rescuing the Seven Sages and attaining the Triforce of Courage, Impa reveals to Link that Ganon is returning and that he must travel to Lorule Castle to stop the Demon King. Link travels to the top of Lorule Castle, where Hilda tells him the legend of how Lorule fell into its current state. Upon finishing the tale, Hilda attains the Triforce of Wisdom from Zelda and summons Yuga Ganon, ordering the beast to steal the Triforce of Courage from Link, but Yuga Ganon is defeated and Hilda - believing him to be loyal - orders him to give his Triforce of Power to her. However, Yuga Ganon reveals his betrayal, states that Lorule is no better than Hyrule and that when the Triforce is his, he plans to remake Lorule in his own image. He proceeds to turn Hilda into a painting and absorbs her along with the Triforce of Wisdom, transforming into an even stronger beast. Stating that he will soon take his rightful place among the gods, Yuga Ganon engages Link for the Triforce of Courage, but he is defeated and finally destroyed. The Triforce is reclaimed from Yuga Ganon and Ganon is ultimately resurrected without Yuga's soul prior to the events of the The Legend of Zelda.
Yuga is fought three times over the course of the game. He is first encountered as the first boss of the game in the Eastern Palace, then later as the boss of Hyrule Castle, and one last time in the two-part final battle of the game, at the end of Lorule Castle.
Eastern Palace Encounter
As the first boss battle of the game, Yuga is at his weakest. He attacks by shooting energy balls at Link, and hiding in the wall as a painting when the young hero gets too close. He is too fast to run towards him directly, so the only way to hit him to use the Bow to shoot an arrow at him. This will stun him, making him vulnerable to sword slashes or more arrows. After taking enough damage, he will get angered and become faster, and start moving along the wall in a more unpredictable way, but the strategy to defeat him remains the same. Eventually the battle will end, and Link will obtain the ability to become a drawing himself.
Hyrule Castle Encounter
As the boss of Hyrule Castle, Yuga is much more formidable. He attacks by creating two copies of himself and launching powerful spells at Link, which the young hero can avoid by standing between the pillars in the arena. Link must hit the real Yuga to stun him, making him vulnerable to more damage. If Link hits a fake Yuga, the copy will turn into a Soldier and the real Yuga will launch a powerful spell. The real Yuga can easily be recognized by his glowing staff. When Yuga takes enough damage, he will once again become much faster and move more erratically, and his spells will have a wider range.
Lorule Castle's Throne Room Encounter
Yuga is fought in a joint form with Ganon as the final boss of the game. There are two stages to the fight.
In Hyrule Warriors, Yuga appears as a playable Warrior, added to Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors Legends with the A Link Between Worlds Pack DLC. In Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, he can be unlocked as a Reward for Battle Victory in Battle H11 in the Lorule Map in Adventure Mode. He uses the Picture Frame as his Weapon, which carries the element of Lightning. Using the Picture Frame he can summon powerful lightning strikes, fire and the Trident used by his Yuga Ganon form. He can also use Magic Circles with Picture Frames to momentarily bind enemies before lightning blasts them into the air.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- As he is leaving the Sanctuary, Yuga can be heard humming his own theme tune. This is similar to a scene early on in Twilight Princess, when Midna can be heard humming a little of her own theme tune. In Skyward Sword, Ghirahim also hums his own theme tune during the ritual to revive Demise.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Yuga, Sorcerer of Lorule" — Tutorial (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
- "Artsy Sorceror [sic] of Lorule
YUGA" — Nintendo, Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - Character Highlight Series Trailer #5 - Nintendo Switch , YouTube (video), published May 10, 2018, retrieved November 29, 2022.
- "Yuga discovered that there was a strange crack in this grim slate... Through it, we could sense that there was another world beyond ours... a place where the Triforce still existed. He and I devised the scheme that imperiled your kingdom. But I alone will set this right." — Princess Hilda (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Yuga" (Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 213)
- ""2 Days to Go. She's being duped. Doesn't she realize that? He's just a leech. There's no choice but to go."" — Diary (A Link Between Worlds)
- "AHHH-!" — Seres (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Wh-what's happening in there? Th-th-the doors are shut tight. Can't get them open!" — Dampé (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Dampé once heard the priest talking about a secret way into the Sanctuary, hidden right in my Graveyard." — Dampé (A Link Between Worlds)
- "What do you want with Seres? I swear, if you hurt my daughter...! And what sort of fiend dares to defile the Sanctuary in this manner?" — Priest (A Link Between Worlds)
- "A fiend? How easily you stoop to petty insults. My name is Yuga. And I have come here seeking nothing less than... perfection." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "And you, my dear, are perfection. How can you stand being so lovely, surrounded by these filthy fools? I will put you on a pedestal. Or rather, upon a wall-perfect forever." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Ah! As I suspected, you're even lovelier as a painting. I think that Her Grace will be most pleased." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Oh? What have we here? Another worm comes wriggling in?" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "H-how did you get in the Sanctuary, Link? Run, child! Wh-why do you just stand there? RUN! Not even the captain stood a chance against him!" — Priest (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I believe this worm here wishes to tangle with me. Come on then. Wriggle, wriggle, little worm!" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "You think you can challenge ME? Why, I am the portrait of perfection! While all of you...? Merely scribbles and squiggles. The very sight of you offends my eyes! Still. I'll be leaving this ugly world soon enough." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Not even that captain of yours could stand against my might. For all his spit and polish, he made for but a crude doodle on the wall. A waste of my magic. Farewell, fools. I'm off to acquire what little perfection I can find in this gaudy world of yours." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Fret not, Princess. I'd advise that we consult Sahasrahla for help. The elder's knowledge of the past... Well, it's more than vast." — Impa (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Yes, of course. That's just where to start. So, Link... Would you please find Sahasrahla? The elder should be at home in Kakariko Village." — Princess Zelda (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Seres was turned into what? A painting? And then she was stolen away? And Princess Zelda sent you here to tell me... Ah, I see. This can mean only one thing. I'm sure you've heard about the legends of old. About the Seven Sages? And the hero who saved Hyrule?" — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Long ago, Ganon the Demon King nearly destroyed our peaceful world. Just when Hyrule was on the brink of ruins, the hero of legend appeared. He gathered the descendants of the Seven Sages, who had once sealed Ganon in darkness... and together they defeated the Demon King and sealed him away once more. Hyrule was saved." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Seres is a descendant of the original Seven Sages who sealed Ganon in darkness all these years ago." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "This Yuga you speak of, he must be after the Seven Sages of our day. He surely intends to free Ganon." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "When I heard rumors of a strange man lurking near the Eastern Palace, I sent my pupil Osfala to investigate. I've put him in danger, for he's also a descendant of the Seven Sages! I'm sure Yuga will be waiting for him! I'll never make it in time to warn him! But you, Link... Could you hurry to Osfala and tell him everything? Please!" — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Ha! After all your posing, all your preening...just look at you now! Now, my fine fellow, prepare to be made into my latest work of art! You'll have a privileged place in my collection of Sages!" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Aha! An excellent painting! What a knack I have for capturing the smallest details JUST so." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Oh? Who-? You're that wriggling worm I saw at the Sanctuary! What, have you come to challenge me again? I don't have time to coddle would-be heroes. But since you insist... I will oblige." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Enough of this! You're going to spoil everything! You've forced my hand. I must brush you aside!" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "What a sad, drab painting you make. You can rot there for all I care." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Now, onward. My collection requires even more perfect paintings." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Oh, how I long to hang that exquisite Princess Zelda on my wall..." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "That barrier! I've never seen such magic! I daren't approach it. But we must break through somehow. Princess Zelda and Lady Impa are trapped inside the castle!" — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Listen well, Link. We must turn again to the legend of old for our solution. These abominable events are an echo of what happened all those years agos." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Then, when the castle was in the grip of evil, the hero of that day found the Master Sword. The hero first had to claim the three Pendants of Virtue to prove himself worthy of the blade." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "But there we are already thwarted. For one of those pendants is INSIDE the castle with Princess Zelda!" — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Well then, my young hero, you've got quite a quest ahead of you. You have to find the other two pendants. One pendant has been enshrined in the House of Gales. And the other pendant, in the Tower of Hera." — Sahasrahla (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Your rampage through my kingdom must stop, Yuga! How many more of my people do you intend to take?" — Princess Zelda (A Link Between Worlds)
- "My little acquisition tour of Hyrule is nearly over, Princess. It really was quite a spree. A Sage here, a Sage there. And now your Impa too. I've already got all seven Sages." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "What do you plan to do with them? Confess it, monster! You plan to use our Seven Sages to revive Ganon, don't you? You're not even listening to me!" — Princess Zelda (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Never you mind. For I have one more painting to make. So please, rid your mind of all concern. I don't want your portrait to feature any unsightly worry lines. I wish to preserve at your very best. I daresay you're a match even for Her Grace. Ah, what golden hair you have... Such bright locks are normally far too sunny for my tastes. But for you, I'll make an exception. I find your protests inelegant. Not to mention irrelevant. I wish only to possess your beauty, Princess Zelda of Hyrule, not all these ugly words of yours! Oh, you are going to make for a spectacular painting, my dear!" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Haha! My lovely masterpiece! How utterly scrumptious! Dare I say, it's my best work ever!" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "...What's that? YOU! Didn't I splash you on some wall somewhere? How did you get out? How impudent! Emerging? Foisting your inferior form upon my eyes? I will not tolerate this! You should have remained nothing but a stain on that wall. But I will be glad to leave you HERE, once and for all!" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "What a beautiful masterpiece. My talent is almost frightening. And then there's you, worm. I can barely bring myself to look at such an inferior creature. And yet, it seems there's more to you than meets the eye. How DID you manage to escape that wall? Never mind. I don't have time to listen to your prattle. I have what I've come to Hyrule for, so I refuse to let you delay my departure any further. Farewell-for the LAST time!" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Once I have released Ganon, lowly creatures like you won't be worth my time" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "You've arrived just in time! A splendid collection, don't you think? All Seven Sages, and Zelda herself... But even they pale in comparison to my NEXT artful creation. ME! I will use the Sages to reach the one who shall help me attain true beauty. I mean, of course... GANON!" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Behold! The Triforce of Power! Join with me! Let us destroy all ugliness in this world or any other. We shall be TRULY superior!" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Oh, Hero of Hyrule, I can hold the beast at bay for so long. It should prove enough time to bid you a most sorrowful welcome to my kingdom. Welcome to Lorule. My name is Princess Hilda and I have failed you in every way." — Princess Hilda (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I knew Yuga planned to slip into your world to abduct Zelda and the Sages. I...I couldn't stop him. Now he has used them to summon the Demon King and siphon his power. Yuga's appetite will soon consume our worlds. Hyrule and Lorule-the beast's for the taking." — Princess Hilda (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I'm afraid I must ask you to do what I cannot-defeat the beast. To do that, you must awaken your full potential, Hero of Hyrule. I sense that the paintings of Hyrule's Seven Sages are being sent to the far corners of Lorule. You must steal those paintings back. The secret to Yuga's defeat lies in uniting your friends!" — Princess Hilda (A Link Between Worlds)
- "As the Princess of Lorule, it is my duty to save my kingdom. So I know you'll understand when I say... I must have your Triforce of Courage!" — Princess Hilda (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Yuga! I command you! Seize the Triforce of Courage from him! Lorule shall be reborn!" — Princess Hilda (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Give me your Triforce of Power, Yuga! We mustn't be defeated! If we are, Lorule will be lost forever! Come now, obey me! Give it to me at once!" — Princess Hilda (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Ha ha ha ha... My dear, sweet, deluded Hilda...! What care have I to save your crumbling kingdom. It's no better than that hideous Hyrule. When the Triforce is mine, I plan to remake Lorule in MY image. Now you, my dark beauty, must serve your purpose." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I can hardly decide which of my princess portraits is prettier. But I do know which of you foolish royal girls has what I need. And now it will be mine." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Ha ha ha! I shall soon take my rightful place among the gods! And then the beauty of destruction will rain down upon this world! Now, I'll be taking that last piece of the Triforce from you, worm! How far you've wriggled! But at last you know your true destiny-to give me what's MINE!" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- Hyrule Historia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 106
- "The name "Yuga" is derived from the Japanese word for oil paintings because he has the ability to use magic to turn people into paintings." —Eiji Aonuma (Eiji Aonuma Q&A on The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.)
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 302
- "Yuga" — N/A (A Link Between Worlds, Italian localization)
とでも言っておきましょうか？" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Mein Name ist Yuga. Ich bin... ein Sammlet... ein Sammler auf der Suche nach wahrer Schönheit." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Excellente question ! Je m'appelle Yuga. Je suis... un esthète qui parcourt le monde en perpétuelle quête de beauté." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "제 이름은 유가
이 세상의 아름다운 것듬을 갈망하는 자
라고 해 둘까요?" — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Soy Yuga, y se podría decir que soy un alma incansable en busca de la perfección que puebla este mundo." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Excellente question! Le nom de cet être divin est Yuga. Il est un homme... à la recherche de la beauté, de la plus pure perfection." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Me llamo Yuga. Se podría decir que soy un alma incansable en busca de la belleza que puebla este mundo." — Yuga (A Link Between Worlds)