Requiem of Spirit
Learning Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
The "Requiem of Spirit" is one of the Warping songs Link learns as an adult in Ocarina of Time. It is taught to him by Sheik at the Desert Colossus after the hero exits the Spirit Temple once he realizes he cannot enter it yet. It allows Link to warp to the Triforce Warp at the Desert Colossus at any age, which is necessary in order to access the Spirit Temple as a child.
In Twilight Princess, the "Requiem of Spirit" can be howled by Wolf Link by the Howling Stone near Upper Zora's River. The Golden Wolf will appear near the Arbiter's Grounds and will teach Link the Mortal Draw.
The "Requiem of Spirit" is 6 bars long in 4/4 time and based in D minor, a key center easily defined by the 6 notes of the Ocarina part, all being in the D minor triad. Harmonically, the Requiem goes back and forth from i to ii°, although the unusual bass line gives implications of a III chord in some spots, despite the strong D in the top voice. The final two bars are played with a iv - Isus2 - I progression, which again is unusual that a Requiem would end on a major I chord, similar to the ending of the "Nocturne of Shadow."
Measures 3-5 of the Requiem feature a rhythmic augmentation in the strings part, playing the Ocarina's 6-notes motif at half speed.
A requiem is a form of music whose theme is a prayer for the salvation of the souls of the departed, and it is used both at services immediately preceding a burial, and on occasions of more general remembrance.
|Names in Other Regions
|魂のレクイエム (Tamashī no Rekuiemu) (OoT)
|Same as English.
|Requiem dello spirito (OoT | OoT3D)
|Requiem of the spirit
|This table was generated using translation pages.
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
Sheik about to teach Link the "Requiem of Spirit" from Ocarina of Time 3D
Link and Sheik playing the "Requiem of Spirit" from Ocarina of Time 3D
Link learning the "Requiem of Spirit" from Ocarina of Time 3D
The notes for the "Requiem of Spirit" on a wall in Termina Field from Majora's Mask 3D
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 96 (OoT) & 97 (TP)
- "Past, present, future... The Master Sword is a ship with which you can sail upstream and downstream through time's river... The port for that ship is in the Temple of Time... To restore the Desert Colossus and enter the Spirit Temple, you must travel back through time's flow... Listen to this Requiem of Spirit... This melody will lead a child back to the desert." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- Dan Bruno, Ocarina songs in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time , danbruno.net, published January 20, 2014.
- Enciclopedia di Hyrule, Magazzini Salani, pg. 96
- "Ascolta questo Requiem dello spirito: è in grado di riportare un ragazzino nel deserto." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time 3D, Italian localization)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Shogakukan, pg. 154