The Wind Waker
Aryll is Link's younger sister who lives with him and their Grandma on Outset Island. Aryll is a very kind, mature and thoughtful person who is eager to help others, especially her Grandma. She often calls Link, "Big Brother". One of her favorite hobbies is to hang out at Outset Island's Lookout and play with the Seagulls. Her Telescope is her most cherished possession, but she lends it to Link as a special gift for his birthday. Soon after, she and Link notice a giant bird known as Helmaroc King soaring in the skies while carrying Tetra in its talons. Tetra's Pirate Crew successfully hit the Helmaroc King with a cannon ball, causing Tetra to fall into the nearby Forest of Fairies. Aryll urges her brother to go and rescue the pirate girl. After Link does so, the giant bird mistakes Aryll for Tetra, taking her away to the Forsaken Fortress. It then becomes Link's sworn priority to save her.
After some persuasion, Tetra allows Link to come with her on her Ship and travel to the Forsaken Fortress in an attempt to rescue his sister. However, Link is captured by the Helmaroc King before he can get to Aryll, and the bird launches him off into the Great Sea.
After Link reemerges from Hyrule following the battle of the Helmaroc King, he receives a Letter from Aryll describing her experience aboard the Tetra's Ship. Enclosed with the Letter is a Red Rupee she earned from helping the pirates with their chores.
How have you been, Big Brother?
I'm here on the pirate ship writing you
this letter. Isn't that neat?
At first, I was really scared, but they're
all actually nice...for pirates, I mean.
Mr. Gonzo is a really big guy, but ever
since Miss Tetra left, he's been crying
like a baby. It's kinda funny...but sort
of sad, too.
Nudge is a little strange, but nice, too,
and as for Senza...his beard makes him
look pretty mean, but he tells really cool
stories when he gets in the right mood.
Zuko's kind of weird, and Mako is pretty
quiet... Mako immediately gets mad
whenever I try to take his glasses...so I
do that a lot. Hee hee!
As usual, Niko is always fooling around.
He won't take anything serious. Actually,
he seems sad not to have you around
anymore. Were you guys good friends?
I helped them all out with their chores,
and they actually paid me a little for it,
so I'm sending the money to you. Please
use it, Big Brother!
I'll loan you my telescope for a little
longer...but you have to return it to me
I'm doing fine here, so don't you worry.
I'll take care of myself, so you be sure to
take good care of yourself. Good luck!
When Link and Tetra surface from the flooded Hyrule after defeating Ganondorf, they are met by Aryll and Tetra's Pirate Crew. Aryll waves to them from the crow's nest, sporting a new magenta dress with a white skull pattern. She wears this dress for the entirety of the Second Quest.
Aryll is last seen on Outset Island, standing with the other villagers waving goodbye as Link and Tetra set sail for new lands. She runs out to the edge of the dock and waves as they sail away.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|#||Trophy||Significant Games||Description||How to unlock|
|The Wind Waker||Link's cheerful younger sister, often seen wearing a hibiscus-print dress. Despite her age, she has a good head on her shoulders and carries her turtle-marked telescope with care. On Link's birthday, Aryll is mistaken for the female pirate captain, Tetra and captured by the Helmaroc King. Imprisoned in the Forsaken Fortress, she awaits rescue by Link.||Random|
|Sticker||Artwork from||Effect in The Subspace Emissary||Usable by|
|The Wind Waker||[Electric] - Resistance +8||All|
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Aryll appears as a Trophy.
|#||Trophy||Appears in||Description||How to unlock|
|210||N/A||The Wind Waker||Link's adorable little sister. She has the misfortune to be kidnapped and carried away from her home on Outset Island by a monstrous bird-and all on her big brother's birthday too! With his sister's prized telescope in hand (she lent it to him as birthday treat), Link sets out on a grand voyage to rescue her.||Random|
- In Phantom Hourglass, Aryll is referenced by Nyeve when Link trades the Hero's New Clothes for the Kaleidoscope. He jokes that it was originally a gift that he had borrowed from his younger sister.
- Aryll's Trophy in the North American version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl erroneously claims her Telescope is marked with Turtles instead of Seagulls. This error occurred due to the Japanese word for seagull (カモメ) being misinterpreted as the Japanese word for turtle (カメ). This was corrected in the PAL version.
- A piece of artwork for Breath of the Wild included in the Japanese version of Creating a Champion is labeled 家族 (Family) in Japanese and features Breath of the Wild's Link with a young girl, presumably a little sister like Aryll. This art is not included in the English version of the book, and the character never appeared in the final version of the game. It is unknown if she would have been a new version of Aryll or have been named something else.
Aryll's name may come from the word Amaryllis, which is a red flower, referencing the pattern on Aryll's dress. In the character design notes for Aryll inside the Zelda Box's book, Eiji Aonuma says that Aryll アリル (Ariru) was originally going to be named マリル (Mariru) to be similar to Marin (マリン (Marin)) from Link's Awakening and Malon (マロン (Maron)) from Ocarina of Time. As such, certain similarities between Aryll and Marin can be noted, such as their affinity for Seagulls, and the red hibiscus in Marin's hair that appears on a pattern on Aryll's dress.
|Names in Other Regions|
|アリル (Ariru) (TWW | SSBU)|
|阿利爾 (Ālìěr) (SSBU)|
|阿利尔 (Ālìěr) (SSBU)|
|Aril (TWW)||Simple transliteration|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Speaking of your sister, she saw me at work the other day, and she said she wanted to learn to carry jars on her head like me so she could help your grandma with chores." — Sue-Belle (The Wind Waker)
- "Link's energetic younger sister is adored by all who meet her." — Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 258 (TWW)
- "Her current goal is to learn how to fetch water so she can help out her grandmother." — Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- "Hee hee hee! This is my FAVORITE spot to gaze out at the sea. When I play with the gulls, I call it "Aryll's Lookout."" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- "I'm going to give you my most treasured belonging...but just for one day!" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- "Link, this is so terrible! That girl fell into the forest! You have to go help her!" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- "And unless my eyes fail me, the young girl who was just kidnapped from this island also has long ears, does she not? Much like YOU do, Miss Fearsome Pirate. My point is that the bird mistook that poor girl for you, and that's why it grabbed her!" — Quill (The Wind Waker)
- "I may as well tell you that the bird that kidnapped both you and Link's sister has made its foul nest to the north, on the heights of the Forsaken Fortress." — Quill (The Wind Waker)
- "If you're worried about your sister...don't be. I promise I'll deliver her safely back to your little island. Normally, I'd expect a huge reward for something like this...but this time, it's my treat!" — Tetra (The Wind Waker)
- "I helped them all out with their chores, and they actually paid me a little for it, so I'm sending the money to you. Please use it, Big Brother!" — Aryll (The Wind Waker HD)
- Koei Tecmo, ~やりこみ要素紹介編~『ゼルダ無双 ハイラルオールスターズ』妖精プロクシィと一緒にゲームプレイ！ , YouTube, published January 15, 2016, retrieved January 18, 2016.
- "This is something valuable that I borrowed from my little sister... Ahhh ha ha! Just kidding." — Nyeve (Phantom Hourglass)
- Zelda Box, Enterbrain, pg. 26
- "Ora va' a chiamare tua sorella Aril!" — Grandma (The Wind Waker)
- "さあ、妹のアリルを呼んでおいで" — Grandma (The Wind Waker)
- "Bitte geh und hole deine Schwester Aril, ja?" — Grandma (The Wind Waker)
- "Va vite appeler ta sœur Arielle, tu veux?" — Grandma (The Wind Waker)
- "Ahora ve a buscar a tu hermanita Abril." — Grandma (The Wind Waker)