The "Ancient Songs" are a series of Songs in Breath of the Wild.
The "Ancient Songs" are dedicated to the ancient hero who defeated Calamity Ganon 10,000 years ago. The Court Poet made it his goal to collect these songs to aid Link after he awoke from the Slumber of Restoration. His desire was that the songs would help Link rescue Princess Zelda. After his passing, his student Kass continued his work.
When Link encounters Kass, he will often have an "Ancient Song" to share with him. At Stables, he sings a song that is dedicated to the defeat of Calamity Ganon 10,000 years ago. There are also several "Ancient Songs" that are regional, and they provide instructions to revealing hidden Ancient Shrines. These songs are located near the Pagos Woods, the West Hyrule Plains, Rabia Plain, Gerudo Tower, Calora Lake, Horon Lagoon, and Washa's Bluff. After Link listens to these songs, he will receive a Shrine Quest. An additional regional song exists around Kitano Bay, which grants Link a Side Quest instead.
When Link is clearing the Great Plateau during the "EX The Champions' Ballad" Main Quest, he can encounter Kass, who has come to learn about another "Ancient Song." He will offer to play the song for Link. After playing it for Link, he reveals that he found it among the Court Poet's old notes.
Untitled History of Calamity Ganon
The kingdom of Hyrule is a vast and storied land,
Oft grasped in the palm of a villainous hand.
A dark force of destruction, many times undone,
Rises once again–Ganon, the calamitous one.
But hope survives in Hyrule, for all is not lost,
Two brave souls protect it, no matter the cost.
A goddess-blood princess and a fearless knight,
They appear in each age to fight the good fight.
Their battle with Ganon I've committed to song,
To keep it through time, no matter how long.
Now begins the second verse, listen and you'll know,
Of their battle with Ganon 10,000 years ago.
The kingdom of Hyrule was once a land of lasting peace /
A culture of such strength and wit, that suffering did cease.
But Ganon lurked beneath the surface, strengthening its jaws /
So the ancient people of Hyrule set out to help the cause.
Their efforts bore fruit in an automated force,
To help avert Calamity by sealing it at its source.
Four giant behemoths for which power never ceased,
Each of these titans was called a "Divine Beast."
And free-willed machines that hunted down their prey /
These Guardians were built to last so they could join the fray.
To guide the beasts in battle, warriors were needed,
So four Champions were pledged to see Ganon defeated.
Divine Beasts, Champions, princess, and knight,
Their plan to rout Ganon was looking airtight.
And when Calamity Ganon reared its head, Hyrule rose against it /
The optimism of Hyrule all the more incensed it.
Ganon raged in its assault, boiling with hate,
It gnashed its teeth and thrashed about, but it was all too late.
The Guardians kept the heroes safe through every hour...
The Divine Beasts unleashed attacks that weakened Ganon's power.
The hero with the sealing sword struck the final blow,
And the holy power of the princess sealed Ganon so.
And that is the story of the brazen attack,
On Calamity Ganon 10,000 years back.
"The Serpent's Jaws"
Location: Pagos Woods
Where the forest dragon splays its jaws,
A shrine sleeps with noble cause.
"The Two Rings"
Location: West Hyrule Plains
When a single arrow threads two rings,
the shrine will rise like birds on wings.
"The Crowned Beast"
Location: Rabia Plain
A beast that wears a crown of bone,
Prancing through the lush green.
Mount the beast upon its throne,
For only then the shrine is seen.
"Sign of the Shadow"
Location: Gerudo Tower
As light shines from the northwest skies,
From the tower's shadow an arrow flies.
Pierce the heaven's light to reveal the prize.
"A Song of Storms"
Location: Calora Lake
When a lost hero calls down lightning from the sky /
The monk responds from a giant mound on high.
"Master of the Wind"
Location: Horon Lagoon
He breaks the rocks that serve to bind,
Above the tempestuous bay.
On wings of cloth and wood entwined,
He lands on the altar to open the way.
"Under a Red Moon"
Location: Washa's Bluff
When the moon bleeds and the fiends are reborn /
The monks will invite you as they have sworn.
But first you must stand on the pedestal bare /
With nothing between you and the night air.
"The Hero's Cache"
Location: Kitano Bay
An ancient hero spoke these words:
'One day I'll return to fight evil.
My cache is at 17 of 24,
This rock will point toward its retrieval.'
Court Poet's Notes
Location: Great Plateau
This song can only be heard if The Champions' Ballad DLC Pack is active.
♪The flames crawl, the waters rise,
the lightning strikes, the wind sighs.
♪A beast beyond the divine four
awaits a hero forevermore
♪Let not the sound leave horses riled.
Breathe in the breath of the wild.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please contact a staff member with a reference.
- ↑ "Have you heard of the ancient songs of Hyrule?" — Kass (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "Ancient songs—songs that sing the praises of the hero who beat back the Calamity in an age past." — Kass (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "He would seek the songs of the hero who sealed the Calamity away in an age past...so they could be passed on to the knight once he returned." — Kass (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "All so that the princess might be saved... Those were my teacher's last words, passed on now through me." — Kass (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "I happen to know a song about the ancient hero. It was passed down to me by my teacher. Do you care to hear it?" — Kass (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "I know a song about this place. Would you like to hear the ancient verse passed down in this region?" — Kass (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ ""The ancient song of Pagos Woods." It seems that a song has been passed down through the ages in the Pagos Woods area of Faron. The song references mythical creatures such as dragons and giant serpents. I wonder if such creatures ever really existed. Or perhaps they still exist today!" — Kass's Journal (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ ""The ancient song of the West Hyrule Plains." On the south side of the West Hyrule Plains, there is a bridge called Jeddo Bridge. Near this bridge, there are a number of circular rocks with holes in their centers. Peculiarly enough, these rocks are apparently mentioned in an ancient song from the area. It sounds rather odd, but I hope to find out more about this ancient rock song." — Kass's Journal (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ ""The ancient song of Rabia Plain." Apparently Rabia Plain in the northern part of Hateno is home to an ancient song about beasts. Rabia Plain is northeast of Kakariko Village. I'll likely stop by the village during my search for the song." — Kass's Journal (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ ""The ancient song of Gerudo Tower." I've heard word there is an ancient song about a tall structure called Gerudo Tower. I don't know where this Gerudo Tower is, but mysterious towers have popped up all around Hyrule recently. This Gerudo Tower may be the tower that appeared in the Gerudo region." — Kass's Journal (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ ""The ancient song of Calora Lake." Apparently there is an ancient song about the giant boulder in Calora Lake in the Faron Region. I hear that area is prone to violent thunderstorms. I'll need to prepare before I go searching for the song." — Kass's Journal (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ ""The ancient song of Horon Lagoon." I hear there is an ancient song about a place in Lanayru called Horon Lagoon. The winds in Horon Lagoon are supposed to be very intense. I may need to travel the area on foot." — Kass's Journal (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ ""The ancient song of Washa's Bluff." I've heard whispers of an ancient song about the "night of the red moon" traditionally sung in Washa's Bluff. No one quite knows why the red moon rises. Or what happens in the span of that night." — Kass's Journal (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ ""The ancient song of Kitano." It seems there is an ancient song about an oddly shaped stone pillar in the open water of Kitano Bay. It details something that was hidden there before the Great Calamity to be claimed by a lost hero. I'm not sure what's hidden there, but if it's meant for a lost hero, it must be worth a fortune!" — Kass's Journal (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "As for me, I came to this spot to pursue an ancient song about a hero at this very plateau." — Kass (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "In any case, would you like to hear my song?" — Kass (Breath of the Wild)
- ↑ "Curious, indeed. As it were, I perused my teacher's old note...and found that song there." — Kass (Breath of the Wild)