Monsters are typically creatures under the influence of Darkness and Dark Magic. Though Monsters can be synonymous with Demons, Demons are born from the source of evil and have the ability to influence, command, and even create Monsters. Nearly any kind of Animal and plant can be turned into a Monster, such as Remlits which are docile and friendly during the daytime but become vicious at night simply because of the presence of a nearby Demon.
Mortals can be corrupted and turned into Monsters. Particularly after death, their bodies can be warped into monstrous forms and their Spirits may turn evil due to the influence of Magic or strong negative emotions. These Spirits can influence the world around them by casting Curses and creating illusions like False Walls to trick people, or they can possess inanimate objects such as Statues or even Lava.
Though Demons come from an unknown source and stand in opposition to everything the Golden Goddesses created, not all Demons and Monsters are evil. Though he is a Demon, Batreaux wishes to become Human and live among people. In spite of this, he emanates an evil force that corrupts the Sky Island of Skyloft, causing Monsters to appear with his presence. It is possible to turn the Demon into a Human and rid Skyloft of Monsters with the power of Gratitude Crystals, which are physical manifestations of gratitude and joy. Other Monsters that refuse to carry out evil simply wish to be left alone. Similarly, Ghosts of people with regrets do not necessarily carry ill will, and only wish for closure to their unresolved issues in life.
The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
The Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap
A Link Between Worlds
Tri Force Heroes
Breath of the Wild
Tears of the Kingdom
Zelda (Game & Watch)
The Legend of Zelda (TV Series)
Captain N: The Game Master
The Legend of Zelda Game Watch
The Faces of Evil
The Wand of Gamelon
BS The Legend of Zelda
Ancient Stone Tablets
Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
Link's Crossbow Training
Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love
Cadence of Hyrule
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
|Names in Other Regions
|This table was generated using translation pages.
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 98 (OoT | OoT3D | TP | TPHD | SS | ALBW)
- "You will need Magic Power to use my leaf. You can find magic jars in grass clumps and vases and after you defeat monsters." — Great Deku Tree (The Wind Waker)
- "You will need magic power to use my leaf. You can find Magic Jars in grass clumps and vases and after you defeat monsters." — Great Deku Tree (The Wind Waker HD)
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 270 (TMC)
- "Do you wanna play Monster Hunting?" — Tingle (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Ah, Link. How goes your search for Zelda? Have you found her yet? What? Levias? Ah, so you've been talking to the headmaster, I take it? If I'm correct, Levias is the one inside the thunderhead. But...that's not the Levias that we all know. That's...a monster! It certainly looks like Levias, but last time I approached him, he came rushing at me! And his eyes... They were full of malice. People change... Or old, wizened creatures change, rather. Perhaps it's more that...he is possessed by something. That's how it felt to me." — Owlan (Skyward Sword HD)
- "Monsters" — Hyrule Compendium (Breath of the Wild)
- "What is hidden in the darkness... Tricks full of ill will... You can't see the way forward..." — N/A (Ocarina of Time 3D)