Darunia is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series.(OoT | HW)[name references needed] Darunia goes unnamed in The Wind Waker and The Wind Waker HD. He is the leader of the Hyrulean Gorons and the Sworn Brother of the King of Hyrule. Despite his stern appearance, he loves music and dancing and cares deeply about his people. His known relatives are a distant ancestor who became a legendary hero by defeating the ancient dragon Volvagia and his son Link, who was born sometime in the seven-year absence of the Hero of Time. Darunia eventually becomes the new Sage of Fire when Link cleanses the Fire Temple.
Ocarina of Time
Darunia is the patriarch of the Gorons in Ocarina of Time. He is a strict leader who sees the greater cause behind initial problems and solutions. Ganondorf visits the Gorons shortly before Link does and demands that they give him the Spiritual Stone of Fire, also known as the Goron's Ruby. Ganondorf promises that if the Gorons does not hand over the Stone, he will keep the entrance to Dodongo's Cavern their main source of food, closed. Despite that this would mean that the Gorons would starve to death, Darunia does not give the stone to Ganondorf, knowing that it is too important. However, the Goron's Ruby also becomes more and more delicious-looking to the hungry Gorons. To protect the gem entrusted to the Goron race, Darunia locks himself up in his room with the ruby, stating that he will wait there for the messenger of the Royal Family of Hyrule. When Link arrives, he is informed of this by the other Gorons. He then goes to Darunia's room and plays Zelda's Lullaby. Darunia recognizes this sign and opens the door, only to be enraged by the fact that the Royal Family's messenger is a mere boy and refuses to talk with him about the Goron's Ruby. Link is tipped off by another Goron that the way to Darunia's good side was through music and dance. From the words of several Gorons, Link understands that the song most likely to get Darunia in a good mood is none other than Saria's Song. Link plays the song for Darunia, causing the latter to lose his depression and break out in a fit of dancing. Despite this, Darunia is still unwilling to give up the Goron's Ruby and challenges Link to prove his worth by destroying the monsters inside of Dodongo's Cavern. As a small bit of help, he gives Link the Goron Bracelet.
Link passed the test and defeated King Dodongo. When he left the cavern, Darunia was waiting for him. He thanked and congratulated Link for what he had done. He then asked Link to become his Sworn Brother, symbolized by giving him the Spiritual Stone of Fire.
Some time in Link's seven-year absence, Darunia had a son, who he named after his friend and the Gorons' hero: Link. Darunia made sure to tell his son as much as possible about the "legendary Dodongo Buster" who had helped them so much. Shortly before Link returned, Ganondorf returned to Goron City, freed Volvagia, and imprisoned the Gorons in the Fire Temple with the intention of having them eaten by Volvagia, as an example to the other races. Both Darunia and his son managed to escape this fate, but Darunia left for the Fire Temple anyway in an attempt to save his people. Before he left, he instructed his son, who stayed in Goron City, to let no one follow him. However, when the latter met with the hero he had heard so much about from his father, he was convinced that he should let him help and told Link about the secret entrance to Death Mountain.
Link met up with Darunia in the Fire Temple. Darunia was very happy to see his friend again but also realized that this was not the time for talk. After informing him of Volvagia's revival, Darunia asked Link to free his people, who had been locked up in prison cells throughout the temple. After fulfilling Darunia's request, Link encountered and defeated Volvagia. He was then teleported to the Chamber of Sages to meet the new Sage of Fire, who turned out to be none other than Darunia. Darunia thanked Link for helping him save his people and gave him the Fire Medallion, reminding him that they were true brothers.
When Link defeated Ganon, Darunia and the other Sages combined their powers to seal away Ganon. During the ending, he was seen overlooking a celebrating Hyrule on Death Mountain with the other Sages.
The Wind Waker
While Darunia does not appear in The Wind Waker, like the other Sages who helped the Hero of Time seal Ganondorf within the Sacred Realm, he is memorialized within one of the stained glass windows in Hyrule Castle's basement, where the Master Sword rests in the Pedestal of Time. The Goron Emblem is depicted directly above him. His likelihood in the stained glass window is one of several examples of how famous the events of Ocarina of Time became in the history of Hyrule.
Ocarina of Time (Himekawa)
Darunia appears as a playable Warrior in Hyrule Warriors. He is a very straightforward power character, forgoing finesse and agility for brute force. His weapon type of choice is the Hammer, which he is able to swing around with ease despite its immense size. Darunia uses the Hammer to pound away and swing at enemies, as well as to guard. Although while his main weapon is the Hammer, Darunia also uses his brute, physical strength in battle as well. His strength is so great that he can crack the earth, causing geysers of fire and lava to shoot forth and can catch flaming boulders from the sky that he powerfully throws. He can also roll to dodge attacks as well as to perform a Special Attack where he grows to enormous size temporarily and smashes surrounding enemies. The Hammer is of the Fire element.
Darunia first appears in the Death Mountain stage, after Cia's power merges lands from other eras into present-day Hyrule. Impa and Sheik arrive to close the nearby Gate of Souls, but are then approached by a Fairy (Navi in the North American release) who tells them that Ruto was kidnapped and is being held captive by Darunia and his troops. Darunia, normally a gentle person, had mysteriously changed ever since Zelda had appeared. The Hyrulean Forces leave to investigate the matter, and are attacked by Darunia and his Gorons. However, Impa and Sheik manage to power through his troops and defeat Darunia, snapping him out of his senses and releasing Ruto from his hold. The two Sheikah learn that the cause for the Gorons' and the Zoras' conflict was the Gate of Souls open in the Water Temple of Lake Hylia, apparently being controlled by Zelda herself. Darunia then joins the Hyrulean Forces alongside Ruto to do battle with Cia's forces and to close the Gate, and later accompany Impa and Sheik back into present-day Hyrule to join the Allies in fighting Cia's forces.
Darunia accompanies many of Link's battles, including the battle at the Temple of Souls, when he arrives to help defend Link from Cia's Dark Links. After Link defeats Cia at the Valley of Seers, Lana sends Darunia back to his time. However when Ganondorf's forces attack Hyrule, she summons him again and the other Allies in Gerudo Desert. After Ganon is defeated, Darunia fades away with the others, presumingly back to his time again.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Team Power||Neutral | 1400||Rank||—||Fighter(s)|
|Stage||Gerudo Valley (Battlefield)||Theme||"Hidden Mountain & Forest"|| Donkey Kong |
| • Defeat the main fighter to win|
• The floor is lava
• The enemy starts the battle with a Hammer
Darunia is a Master Spirit who oversees the Boulder Style Dojo in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Darunia energetically welcomes Spirits into his Dojo and frequently makes rock-based puns. He promises to make any Primary Spirits "tough and quick", reflecting the Boulder Style that is taught at his Dojo. When Darunia successfully teaches a Spirit the Boulder Style, he will excitedly announce that they are part of his family.
Donkey Kong's appearance with the Hammer in Daruk's Spirit Battle represent Darunia and the Megaton Hammer respectively. The team of eight Jigglypuff represent the various Gorons who live alongside Darunia atop Death Mountain in Ocarina of Time.
- Darunia, like the other Sages from Ocarina of Time, shares his name with a town from The Adventure of Link.
- Darunia is the only character in Hyrule Warriors to have his own theme song played on his victory sequence. The theme is a remixed version of "Saria's Song" with him dancing in the same way as in Ocarina of Time.
- While Darunia does not appear in Breath of the Wild, the Divine Beast Vah Rudania is named after him as an anagram.
|Names in Other Regions|
|ダルニア (Darunia) (OoT | SSBU)|
|達魯尼亞 (Dálǔníyà) (SSBU)|
|Darunia (OoT | HWDE)|
|Darunia (OoT | OoT3D | HWDE)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
Darunia's Standard Outfit (Master Quest) based on Darmani III from Hyrule Warriors
Darunia's Standard Outfit (Twilight) based on Darbus from Hyrule Warriors
Darunia's Goron Mask Costume from the Termina Map from Hyrule Warriors
Darunia's Standard Outfit (Great Sea) based on Biggoron from Hyrule Warriors Legends
Darunia's Standard Outfit (Wind Waker) based on the Great Deku Tree from Hyrule Warriors Legends
Darunia's Standard Outfit (Grand Travels) based on the Goron Elder from Hyrule Warriors Legends
Darunia's Standard Outfit (Lorule) based on Rosso from Hyrule Warriors Legends
|Darunia - Hammer gameplay from Hyrule Warriors|
- "Here's Darunia, leader of the Gorons." — Hyrule Warriors Direct 8.4.2014, of America Nintendo of America on YouTube, Uploaded August 4, 2014
- "I'm so hungry that I can't think about anything but food! "Spiritual Stone?" That red stone that was lighting up our city? Big Brother Darunia took it away. Then, he shut himself up in his room and won't come out. Since then, it feels like all the lights in the city have gone out... Everyone seems so... depressed... I want you to bring fire from Big Brother's room back here." — Goron (Ocarina of Time)
- Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 238 (OoT)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time—Prima's Official Strategy Guide, Prima Games, pg. 32
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time—Prima's Official Strategy Guide, Prima Games, pg. 61
- "Darunia, Goron Chief" — Tutorials (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
- Hyrule Warriors: Prima Official Game Guide, Prima Games, pg. 202
- "Defeat the passionate brother!" — Battle Log (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
- "Darunia" — View Warriors (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
- "What the heck? Who are you?! When I heard the song of the Royal Family, I expected their messenger had arrived, but...you're just a little kid! Has Darunia, the big boss of the Gorons, really lost so much status to be treated like this by his Sworn Brother, the king? Now I'm REALLY angry! Get out of my face! Are you asking why I'm in such a bad mood right now? Ancient creatures have infested the Dodongo's Cavern! We've had a poor harvest of our special crop, Bomb Flowers! Starvation and hunger because of the rock shortage! But... This is a Goron problem! We don't need any help from strangers!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "I'm so hungry that I can't think about anything but food! Ask Big Brother about complicated things. If he's in a bad mood, he'll probably get mad at you... it can be pretty scary. But... I know his SECRET. He may not look like the type, but Big Brother loves to dance! If he gets in a rhythm, he'll surely..." — Goron (Ocarina of Time)
- "A long time ago, there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! It ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons... BOOOM! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true! I know, because my dad is a descendant of the hero!" — Link (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "It's me, Darunia! Well done! Thanks to you, we can once again eat the delicious rocks from the Dodongo's Cavern until our stomachs burst! What a wild adventure! It will make an incredible story... I can't believe that the Dodongos suddenly appeared in such great numbers! And that big rock blocking the cave... All this trouble must have been caused by that Gerudo thief, Ganondorf! He said, "Give me the Spiritual Stone! Only then will I open the cave for you!" You, on the other hand, risked your life for us... Kid, I like you! How's about you and I become Sworn Brothers?! No, there's no big ceremony involved! Just take this as a token of our friendship! Brother! You'll keep brushing up on your skills as you travel, won't you? You should go see the Great Fairy on top of Death Mountain! She will power you up! Hey, everybody! Let's see off our Brother!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "If I'm not mistaken, you came out here to eat the red stone too! Well, too bad! It's not here! What? That's not why you're here? You're looking for a "Spiritual Stone?" You must mean that delicious-looking red stone that was once displayed above the city! I was so hungry that I thought it would be OK to just give it one tiny, little lick...so I snuck up there. But it was already gone! I think Big Brother took it away. He always says that everyone is after that red stone! Big Brother has shut himself up in his room saying, "I will wait in here for the Royal Family's messenger!"" — Goron (Ocarina of Time)
- "Well, that's not quite what I was looking for... I wanted to hear... a tune... something... um... from outside the mountains... something... green... natural... That's the kind of music I want to hear..." — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "I remember Big Brother used to always listen to the music that comes from the forest... Ah yes, the good old days... That music makes me feel nostalgic, too..." — Goron (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Heeey! What a nice tune! Just like that, my depression is all gone! Something just came over me! I suddenly wanted to dance like crazy! I am Darunia! I'm the big boss of the Gorons! Was there something you wanted to ask me about? What? You want the Spiritual Stone of Fire too? The Spiritual Stone of Fire, also known as the Goron's Ruby, is our race's hidden treasure..." — Darunia (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "But hold on—I'm not going to give it to you that easily. If you want it so badly... Why don't you go destroy the monsters inside of Dodongo's Cavern and prove you're a real man? That way, everybody will be happy again! If you do it, I will give you anything you want, even the Spiritual Stone!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Destroy the monsters in the Dodongo's Cavern and become a real man! Then, we can talk about the Spiritual Stone!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "I have something for you. I'm not really giving you this in return for anything, but take it anyway. If you wear this, even a little fella like you can pick up a Bomb Flower using ." — Darunia (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Everybody was taken to the Fire Temple... While my dad was out... Ganondorf's followers came and took them all away! All of them will be eaten by Volvagia! Dad said that Ganondorf has revived Volvagia... As a warning to those who might oppose him, Ganondorf is going to feed them all to Volvagia! Dad went to the Fire Temple all by himself to try to save everyone... Please help, Link! I'll give you this heat-resistant tunic!" — Link (Ocarina of Time)
- "What? Your name is also Link? Then you must be the legendary Dodongo Buster and Hero, Link! My dad is Darunia... Do you remember him? Dad named me Link after you, because you're so brave! It's a cool name! I really like it! Link, you're a hero to us Gorons! I'm so glad to meet you! Please give me your autograph! Sign it: "To my friend, Link of the Gorons" Oh... I guess it's not a good time to ask you for this... Please help everyone! My dad, Darunia, went to the Fire Temple. A dragon is inside! If we don't hurry up, even my dad will be eaten by the dragon!! B-b-b-boooo hooooo!" — Link (Ocarina of Time)
- "Dad told me not to let anybody follow him to the temple, but... Only you, Link, can save everyone! I'm sure that the shop owner, who is hiding somewhere right now, will also help you! Now, I'll tell you about the secret passage to the Fire Temple! Try to move the statue inside Dad's room!" — Link (Ocarina of Time)
- "Who's there? Is that you, Link...? Oh, it really is Link! You've grown so big since I last saw you! I want to have a man-to-man talk with you, but now's not the time. Ganondorf is causing trouble on Death Mountain again! He has revived the evil, ancient dragon Volvagia! On top of that, he is going to feed my people to that evil dragon as a warning to other races that might resist him... If that fire-breathing dragon escapes from the mountain, all of Hyrule will become a burning wasteland! I will go on ahead to try to seal up the evil dragon... I'm concerned, though, because I don't have the legendary hammer... But I have no choice. Link...I'm asking you to do this as my Sworn Brother... While I'm trying to deal with the dragon, please save my people! The prisoners' cells are in the opposite direction. I'm counting on you, Link!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Thank you, Brother! I really appreciate what you did. I thank you on behalf of the entire Goron race! You turned out to be a real man, just as I thought you would! By the way, I, the wild Darunia, turned out to be the great Sage of Fire... Isn't that funny, Brother? Well, this must be what they call destiny. Nothing has made me happier than helping you seal the evil here! Hey, Brother, take this! This is a Medallion that contains the power of the fire spirits—and my friendship." — Darunia (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "You received the Fire Medallion! Darunia awakens as a Sage and adds his power to yours!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Don't forget... Now you and I are true Brothers!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Hey! Listen! Princess Ruto is in trouble! [...] She was abducted by the Gorons!" — Navi (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Their leader Darunia used to be such a gentle soul. Someone named Zelda showed up and... He hasn't been the same since!" — Navi (Hyrule Warriors)
- "There she subdued the Goron chieftain, Darunia, who had temporarily lost his senses." — N/A (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Upon freeing Princess Ruto, however, Impa was shocked to learn the reason for the conflict between the Zora and Goron people. The ancient Water Temple was teeming with monsters that poured from the Gate of Souls. What's more, the monsters were apparently led by Princess Zelda herself!" — N/A (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Oh! Oh-oh!" — Darunia (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- "Let's get rollin'!" — Darunia (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- "Come back when you're ready to rock." — Darunia (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- "Learning my style will make you tough and quick." — Darunia (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- "HOT! This spirit's part of the family now!" — Darunia (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- Enciclopedia di Hyrule, Magazzini Salani, pg. 238
- "Darunia, il nostro capo, se l'è portata via." — Goron (Ocarina of Time 3D, Italian localization)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Shogakukan, pg. 140
- Encyclopedia, Les Éditions Soleil, pg. 238
- Ocarina of Time manual, iQue version, pg. 8
- "Darunia" — View Warriors (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)