The Demon Dragon is the final Boss in Tears of the Kingdom. It is the form attained by Demon King Ganondorf when, in a final attempt to destroy Link, he sacrifices himself by swallowing a Secret Stone to irreversibly transform into a Dragon. By permanently losing his own self through the transformation, no trace of Ganondorf's original form remains.
Link defeats Demon King Ganondorf in Gloom's Origin, Beneath Hyrule Castle. In a last, desperate attempt to survive, Ganondorf declares that he will sacrifice himself to destroy Link, losing his body and mind in the process. He wrenches the Sacred Stone embedded in his forehead and swallows it, causing a huge explosion as he transforms into a Dragon. After the transformation, the dragon swoops down to pick up Link and launches itself upward through the ceiling, crashing through the earth as it makes its way to the Surface. Emerging from the Hyrule Castle Chasm, it causes considerable damage to the castle itself as it flies high up in the Central Hyrule Sky. The Light Dragon suddenly appears to try and intercept the the Demon Dragon, and rescues Link as he falls from it during the confrontation.
If Link has not yet obtained the Master Sword, he will notice it embedded in the head of the Light Dragon and automatically retrieve it to use during the final battle.
Tears of the Kingdom
The Demon Dragon is a large Dragon with jet-black scales immune to all attacks, red spike protrusions in its back, and oozing with Gloom. Along its back are also several pits in its scales containing vulnerable, glowing pustules of Gloom with eyes. To defeat the dragon, Link must attack these pustules with the Master Sword. The Light Dragon supports Link during the battle by allowing him to ride it through the Sky to gain altitude for skydiving and gliding onto the Demon Dragon. Once Link rises above the Demon Dragon's position, it will look upwards and spew large balls of Gloom toward the hero. Link will sustain Gloom damage if he touches any part of the Demon Dragon, other than the pits along his back, or the dragon's head.
During the battle the Light Dragon will attempt to quickly swoop in to catch Link as he falls, though it's possible for it to miss him. Link is unable to fall to the surface however, as if he falls too low a cutscene will play where the Light Dragon catches him regardless of their distance from one another.
When all of the Gloom pustules on the Demon Dragon's back are destroyed, Link must deliver a final killing blow to the Secret Stone embedded in the Demon Dragon's head, destroying both the stone and the Dragon in the process.
- If a photo is taken of the Demon Dragon, it will be added to the Compendium and remain in the album following the game's ending. However, it is not possible to have a model of the dragon made for Kilton's collection in Tarrey Town.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please contact a staff member with a reference.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Draconified Demon King
Demon Dragon" — Game Screen (Tears of the Kingdom)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "My body... My mind... Everything! I'll sacrifice it all to destroy you... and cast this world into eternal night!" — Demon King Ganondorf (Tears of the Kingdom)
- ↑ "To become an immortal dragon is to lose oneself." — Mineru (Tears of the Kingdom)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "The form that Ganondrof, the Demon King, attained after swallowing a secret stone and attaining his true power. No trace of his original form remains. It's overwhelming magical strength would shake the skies. The jet-black scales covering it repel any and all attacks, save for those of the one and only Master Sword." — Compendium (Tears of the Kingdom)