The Hero's Cave is a recurring mini-dungeon in The Legend of Zelda series.[note 1]
Entrance to the Dungeon
In Oracle of Seasons, the Hero's Cave is found at the Western Coast. In a normal game, Link must come here to find the Wooden Sword. In Oracle of Ages, the Hero's Cave only appears in a Linked Game, near the entrance to Maku Road in Lynna City in the present.
In a Linked Game, the Hero's Cave acts as an optional dungeon, requiring the treasure from the seventh dungeon of either game to complete. The layout of the cave changes entirely between the two games to make use of items not present in the other game. The Hero's Cave is a linear dungeon, each room containing a puzzle Link must solve to proceed, either by opening a door or by obtaining a key to open the door. At various points, warp points will spawn in rooms, acting as checkpoints - Link can escape the cave and return to the dungeon later, the warp point in the entrance always taking him into the deepest warp point accessed in the cave. The dungeon itself is also split up by warp points that take Link to different sections in the dungeon.
Upon completing the dungeon, Link finds a treasure chest with a Magic Ring in it. In Oracle of Ages it is the Armor Ring L-3, while in Oracle of Seasons it is the Power Ring L-3. This is the only way to obtain these two rings.
Minor Traps and Enemies
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
- OoA Stalfos Orange Sprite.png
- OoA Wizzrobe Sprite.png
- In Oracle of Seasons, a Zora can be found in the cave that gives Link a secret to pass along to King Zora in Labrynna. This secret improves Link's Sword by one level. The cave contains no secrets in Oracle of Ages.
- In the North American version of Oracle of Ages, if Link enters the Hero's Cave and checks the map, it will say he is in the Ancient Tomb, the eighth dungeon in the game.
- Because the Power Ring L-3 and Armor Ring L-3 are exclusive to their game's version of the Hero's Cave, this means in order to get a complete collection of Magic Rings, Link would have to complete each game twice (or use the Veran Warp Glitch in Linked Ages to skip a second playthrough of Ages), inverting the order of play for the second playthrough to be able to play a Linked Game for both.
|Names in Other Regions|
- ↑ The Hero's Cave was referred to as the Cave of Heroes in Official The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Seasons Perfect Guide by Versus Books. However, as this contradicts the name given in-game, it is not considered Canon.
- ↑ Encyclopedia, Dark Horse Books, pg. 150 (OoS) & 151 (OoA)
- ↑ Official The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Seasons Perfect Guide, Versus Books, pg. 61 (OoS) & 66 (OoA)
- ↑ "Do you know of the Hero's Cave near the Western Coast? The Hero's Sword is said to be hidden there, but no one has ever found it." — N/A (Oracle of Seasons)